Best Season to order online fish

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
with Summer in full swing, i imagine this is a bad time to order fish? I lost a fish this morning via online order. The temp of bag matched my tank exactly when it arrived....78 F . It was a Mandarin Dragonet. Are they difficult to ship? I don't want to order another and have it come DOA. Fall is just around the corner and I can most certainly wait if it favors the fish.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i dont know where you live but where i am its still in the 90's so i dont want to order anything...and obviously you need to consider the temp of the area its being shipped from...just cause it was 78 when you got it doesnt mean that was the temp for the whole trip

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably late Spring or late Fall (when temperatures are semi-neutral). But it really depends on the distances involved, vendor, how well everything is packaged, whether they use cooling/heating packs, etc.

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
package was dropped off at the UPS last drop off time in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure its hot there mid 90's.
It was delivered next day air.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t sound like temp was an issue. Mandarin are sensitive to begin with and if it wasn’t a conditioned fish then it’s a higher risk by a lot. There’s always some risk when shipping fish but if you use a legit supplier then the odds are in your favor.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t sound like temp was an issue. Mandarin are sensitive to begin with and if it wasn’t a conditioned fish then it’s a higher risk by a lot. There’s always some risk when shipping fish but if you use a legit supplier then the odds are in your favor.

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm going to wait until fall arrives before adding any more livestock. The fish was well packed and from a respected supplier.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to wait until fall arrives before adding any more livestock. The fish was well packed and from a respected supplier.
I should also have said that if you’re looking for delicate fish, see if your lfs can get them for you and get them eating before you take them home, or buy it already conditioned.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back