Best shrimp to pair with Yellow Watchman Goby?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got a Yellow Watchman Goby in our 125G reef. Would love to pair it up with a shrimp. I'm thinking Tiger Shrimp, but is there a better/different pairing that works?

What's the best way to ensure they find each other?

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few not pair up over the years, but most of the time they manage to find each other. As the previous poster said, trying releasing the shrimp near the goby's burrow. A tiger pistol is a good choice, but my current pair is a yellowman watchman goby paired with a red snapping shrimp (I think that's what Liveaquaria called it). It's huge. I call it my pistol lobster. ;Joyful

shrimp goby.jpg

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about best. But I've had a candy cane pistol been with 3 diferent gobies in about 4 years. They always seem to find each other just fine. Since the gobie is in the tank, I'd release the shrimp next to the gobies home.

Thanks.

The goby is relatively new so I don't think it has established a home yet. Each morning I find it in a different part of the tank.

Keeping my eye open at various LFS to see what comes in regarding shrimp. Then I'll have to release it in the "last known" home and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few not pair up over the years, but most of the time they manage to find each other. As the previous poster said, trying releasing the shrimp near the goby's burrow. A tiger pistol is a good choice, but my current pair is a yellowman watchman goby paired with a red snapping shrimp (I think that's what Liveaquaria called it). It's huge. I call it my pistol lobster. ;Joyful

Nice! I think I'm done ordering from LA for quite some time. No bad experiences, just got enough fish (sacrilege I know) for now. Shipping might be equal to or more than the shrimp.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for one of these.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a YWG who was very skiddish in the tank. He would swim frantically up and down occasionally and try to go carpet surfing. I bought a tiger pistol shrimp a week later and they paired within a few days. They disappeared in the burrow for a good 2 weeks before reappearing randomly one day. I see various types of shrimps paired with different Gobys at the LFS so I’m sure whatever you choose will work out!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

The goby is relatively new so I don't think it has established a home yet. Each morning I find it in a different part of the tank.

Keeping my eye open at various LFS to see what comes in regarding shrimp. Then I'll have to release it in the "last known" home and hope for the best.
My pink spot would always Did rent around with no home. He would come over and look anytime I added something in the tank. The day I released the pistol shrimp the goby followed right behind and hasn’t left

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back