Best Size Aquarium For an Entry Level Reefer?

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve been in the freshwater world for 7 or 8 years now and have just recently started considering starting up a reef tank, I’ve read lots of places that bigger is better. In your guys’ experience is this true? If so how big is big?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve been in the freshwater world for 7 or 8 years now and have just recently started considering starting up a reef tank, I’ve read lots of places that bigger is better. In your guys’ experience is this true? If so how big is big?
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

In my personal opinion a 40 Breeder is a great starter tank. Its a 3 foot tank 18 inches wide by 17 inches deep. So it's big enough to have a high water volume, but small enough that it's easily worked on :)

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

In my personal opinion a 40 Breeder is a great starter tank. Its a 3 foot tank 18 inches wide by 17 inches deep. So it's big enough to have a high water volume, but small enough that it's easily worked on :)

In my planted tanks I’ve always found that tanks that small depth wise are hard to work with, stuff like driftwood always seems to cause a problem, is it not like that in reefing? Also, after reading through a ton of build threads I’ve found a reoccurring pattern of people upgrading after a few months, if this is such a popular thing isn’t it best to just go dream tank right off the back and learn from there?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my planted tanks I’ve always found that tanks that small depth wise are hard to work with, stuff like driftwood always seems to cause a problem, is it not like that in reefing? Also, after reading through a ton of build threads I’ve found a reoccurring pattern of people upgrading after a few months, if this is such a popular thing isn’t it best to just go dream tank right off the back and learn from there?
Potentially. For me though the 40 Breeder has been the perfect starting tank size. Just my opinion :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the 40 breeder is a great tank size. My favorite is a 90g, I have several tanks from 14g to 210g. Bigger is not better and I have as much success with my 14 as any other. Today the methods of keeping tanks stable with an ato and dosing makes smaller tanks just as successful. Just remember the limitations of the tank size you choose, from your choices in livestock to your bioload. I like the 90 the best because it gives me enough room for interesting choices of fish and such, and the maintenance is not a pita.

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what do you think the biggest tank I could put on a second story without adding extra bracing in( floor above the basement) My basement is cold as crap and I feel like I would have too much more of a trouble keeping the tank of temperature. Or is there an easy way to heat a room that wouldn’t break the bank?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any negatives of starting 100 gal +?

Just cost and space. Look at it two ways, one is the cost of all the equipment needed (tank, stand, lights, pumps, etc....., Second, cost of maintaining it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, more water means more time to catch mistakes. I would go with at least a 75 gal.
I agree also with using a 75g for starters. And i'll add that you can add many fish that one would want to get. Most people want the cooler fish that won't fit in smaller tanks.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what do you think the biggest tank I could put on a second story without adding extra bracing in( floor above the basement) My basement is cold as crap and I feel like I would have too much more of a trouble keeping the tank of temperature. Or is there an easy way to heat a room that wouldn’t break the bank?

What's cold, my house gets down to 60 degrees during the winter, I keep glass tops on in the winter and screen in the summer. Properly sized heaters, using 2 is better, and a temp controller; I would likely shy away from more than a 20 degree differential.

lewisriverfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any negatives of starting 100 gal +?
I don't think any negative but it will cost you more money to do it right. You will need more lights, more live rock, bigger/better skimmer(really important) bigger heater, more salt well you get the picture.
Just make sure to take it slow and easy and do lots of research on everything you put in your tank. I assume you will want a mixed reef tank and there are some questions that need an answer....Is this fish reef safe, is this fish agressive or not, it sucks to have to take a tank part way down just to remove a fish. Coral placement you will have to research as well. Also make sure that you dip your corals, the nasty pests you dont want.There is a lot to know and do, if you have questions ask. Btw welcome to the forum.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with something around 125 gal. Its big enough for a home made 55 gal sump underneath. If you have done fresh water you might even have a 55 you can make into a sump. That size sump will hold are your added stuff. Yes you will add equipment as you go. Its is also small enough so water changes wont break the bank in salt. It will cost more up front with lights and power heads. On the plus side it can hold more livestock and will be more stable.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 55. Couple months later I bought 2 fluval Evo 13.5s. I ended up giving one to my sister and her daughter, the other I gave to my mom(she lives with me and LOVES our "water pups"). I'm about 18 months in and I'm upgrading to a 180 next month. I liked the 55 because it gave me a taste of keeping the fish I like, as well as anemones. I learned on a large enough scale to truly love the hobby, but a small enough scale to correct any problems.

I think that 40-75 range would be great. Learn how to do water changes, figure out your husbandry techniques, and still have room for enough fish/coral to get a taste

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's cold, my house gets down to 60 degrees during the winter, I keep glass tops on in the winter and screen in the summer. Properly sized heaters, using 2 is better, and a temp controller; I would likely shy away from more than a 20 degree differential.
Probably around 60 as well, mostly due to bad windows which I think my parents are thinking about replacing soon (fingers crossed) as I am going to be sleeping down there soon. As to the biggest tank without adding additional support, do any of you guys have 75+ above a basement?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 55. I wish I'd started with something a bit larger - between 75 and 90 gallons. But I also really like my 14 gallon nano, too.

Decide what you want to keep and then decide on the tank size. LiveAquaria is a great website to get ideas and they have profiles of fish that include aggression level and minimum tank size.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like boats, houses, diamonds and many other things, whatever size you get you are going to soon wish is was bigger. Also, you must have some idea of what fish you want to keep and therefore what size tank they need. For example:If you want to keep a tang then you probably want at least a 72 in tank. IMO the bigger the better.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with something around 125 gal. Its big enough for a home made 55 gal sump underneath. If you have done fresh water you might even have a 55 you can make into a sump. That size sump will hold are your added stuff. Yes you will add equipment as you go. Its is also small enough so water changes wont break the bank in salt. It will cost more up front with lights and power heads. On the plus side it can hold more livestock and will be more stable.

I've got a 125g with a 55g diy sump and that is a great set up also. The 6' tank gives you lots of cool choices in fish, like small tangs and small angels.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do, some don't, but I'd personally recommend also setting up a quarantine system. If you check the disease forum you'll see every day that people are frantically tearing their tank down to catch fish because their newest addition didn't get qt'd.

It doesn't have to be elaborate..
I use a 29g tank, heater, hob filter like an aquaclear, and a pump. Few pieces of PVC and you're good to go. This gives the fish time to adapt to captivity and you the time to observe for potenial problems. Much easier to treat a fish that's already in qt than trying to jam ALL your fish in hurried hospital tank.

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who has 120’s are all of them in the basement or do you have an added support of some kind?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back