Best Size Aquarium For an Entry Level Reefer?

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 75-90 gallon range. Although a 120 wouldn’t be that much more economically.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who has 120’s are all of them in the basement or do you have an added support of some kind?

My 180 is going on our first floor above a cellar. It's going to be on a load bearing wall, it's going to span 3 joists already supported by steel beams, and for good measure I'm going to add blocking between the joists in that room.

Do you have access to the ceiling below the room you're considering placing the aquarium?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had zero experience in salt water tanks when I started. I also lived on the third floor of my apartment. Yes I have said good ridence since then yay. Anyway I started with a 125 used tank. It came w a reef dynamics protein skimmer, 40 gallon sump, return pumps wave makers , heaters etc. it also came with about 100 pounds of dead rock. I bought it for 300 dollars at my local fish store. I bought two fluval 2.0 marine lights (best lights ever) which were 129 each. My tank thrived and did amazing.’and it actually did better than most people who spent thousands.

The bigger the tank the better, and since your on the second floor, I don’t think anything above a 125 would work. If you put a 125 in, I’d suggest you place it against a wall bearing support. I will also add that moving a reef tank is very difficult, it was for me. I lost a lot of stuff because of time issues. You can also probably find a used 125 cheaper then you can a smaller tank. IF you want to see pics of my 125 let me know.

Mako61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110g with the sump in the stand. I wish I had a fish room ( behind or under ). I think that would make things easier. The limited space make many choices not possible.

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is going on our first floor above a cellar. It's going to be on a load bearing wall, it's going to span 3 joists already supported by steel beams, and for good measure I'm going to add blocking between the joists in that room.

Do you have access to the ceiling below the room you're considering placing the aquarium?[/QUOTE

Do I have access , yes. Would I like to put anything there, mostly likely not as when we finish our basement it would most likely be in the middle of living space, however there are many places which I could place it downstairs which I feel like if I went over 100 gallons that would have to be the route I go.
Was there any added structural supports under the aquarium ? ALso now that i think about it if I were tic do a 120 I would also include probably a 40 gal sump and 65 gal fuge which would probably be easier to do in my basements anyways

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone who has a fish room or has an aquarium in the basement, how do you keep it heated? My basement is at least 10-15 degrees colder than my house at all times which is something I’m weary about

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for stocking though I do really love some of the bigger fish, butterfly’s probably being my favorite, I know not all of them are reef safe but Whatever size tank I’d most likely get I’d love to have maybe a copper banded as well as a one spot foxface which is why I’m thinking bigger, what is the smallest tank I could house both of them in while making sure they’re loving life ?

JMarsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do, some don't, but I'd personally recommend also setting up a quarantine system. If you check the disease forum you'll see every day that people are frantically tearing their tank down to catch fish because their newest addition didn't get qt'd.

It doesn't have to be elaborate..
I use a 29g tank, heater, hob filter like an aquaclear, and a pump. Few pieces of PVC and you're good to go. This gives the fish time to adapt to captivity and you the time to observe for potenial problems. Much easier to treat a fish that's already in qt than trying to jam ALL your fish in hurried hospital tank.

I can't support this comment enough. I really wish I had been advised to set up a QT when I first started. One rushed introduction can cause a headache for your display. QT just makes sense and I won't add livestock again without QT. Really inexpensive preventative measure that greatly increases your chance for success.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve been in the freshwater world for 7 or 8 years now and have just recently started considering starting up a reef tank, I’ve read lots of places that bigger is better. In your guys’ experience is this true? If so how big is big?
I agree that a 75 gallon tank would be a good choice (assuming you don't have a big budget). It's has large surface area/gallon and being larger tank bad things won't happen as quickly as with smaller tanks i.e. a faulty heater, alkalinity swings, pH changes, etc giving you more time to correct something before it becomes a problem.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say start with the biggest tank you can afford. Larger volumes of water are more forgiving. You will make mistakes with your first tank and having more water volume protects your livestock. Make sure you calculate ALL of the costs of equipment though before deciding.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mjanko
Thanks for signing up and Welcome to Reef 2 Reef :)

For myself, a 75 gallon and up would nice way to start. It's a lot easier to keep water parameters "stable" in a bigger setup for one that's new in reefing.

The first thing on my must get list would be an 4 stage RO/DI unit with an built in TDS meter. Otherwise you'll be fighting an losing algae debacle from day one :(

Again:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and wish you all the best.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any negatives of starting 100 gal +?

Other than it is expensive and the learning curve for the equipment use and maintenance would be rather steep, no. My recommendation is that you look at your space, budget and what fish you are interested in and then go from there. If you are interested in Tangs, Full size Angels, Rabbitfish, etc. then I would recommend no smaller than a 125 gallon (and could go all the way up to 250 gallon, depending on the species). If you are interested in Wrasses, Dwarf Angels, Anthias then you could go with a 75 gallon. If you want Clownfish, Cardinalfish, Orchid Dottyback, Blennies, Gobies you could go with a 30 gallon tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone who has a fish room or has an aquarium in the basement, how do you keep it heated? My basement is at least 10-15 degrees colder than my house at all times which is something I’m weary about

As I stated before my house gets 60 degrees in winter, I run my tanks at 76. For years , several tanks, never had any issues other than a higher electric bill. I have 2 heaters in each tank with a temperature controller, both heaters are rated for a 20 degree differential for the tank size. In case one heater fails, the other heater is capable of maintaining proper temp. In the summer I do the reverse, I replace the glass tops with screens and my temp controller runs fans to keep the tanks within temp. I run them at 80.6 in the summer, and some rooms get as hot as 85.

If you are not sure of the weight, don't do it. Think about 10 lbs per gallon with everything included, water weighs 8.5 lbs/g.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who has 120’s are all of them in the basement or do you have an added support of some kind?

I am currently filling a 125 gallon on the main floor above a crawl space as we speak.

15214067936431481808702.jpg

No supports of any kind in the crawl space but I am keeping an eye on the tank level but my house is only 10 years old though

Last edited:

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mjanko
Thanks for signing up and Welcome to Reef 2 Reef :)

For myself, a 75 gallon and up would nice way to start. It's a lot easier to keep water parameters "stable" in a bigger setup for one that's new in reefing.

The first thing on my must get list would be an 4 stage RO/DI unit with an built in TDS meter. Otherwise you'll be fighting an losing algae debacle from day one :(

Again:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and wish you all the best.

And the next would be an ATO! Probably the best first investments I made for sure!

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever size tank I end up with I’m definitely getting an ATO and the Apex, after doing research I couldn’t imagine having a reef tank without them!

The apex you can definitely wait on. The ATO and RODI water was such a game changer for the stability of the tank. The largest reward for the money. It’s always a game of save and buy and trade in the hobby. Lol! Good luck with whatever you decide on. Be sure to post a build thread. [emoji3]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back