Best Size Prime Lens for Aquarium Photography

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out the best route to take in order to have a better setup for taking pictures of my critters and corals. Currently I am using my Nikon d3200 with the kit lens (or more recently my Samsung Note 8) and I don' know whether or not to invest in a newer camera or some better glass.

Either way, I will end up using prime lenses for any aquarium stuff so I am wondering which focal length is best in everyone's opinion. I'm currently looking at the Nikon 35mm or 50mm for my current camera or getting the Sony a6300 and a prime lens.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what type of pictures you're going for. The Nikons aren't terrible cameras, glass is going to improve the image quality more than a new camera will and almost half the cost. I do film and i'm not quite sure for photogs but you may want to invest a variable zoom lens, an 85mm or 135mm if some close ups are what you're aiming for.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what type of pictures you're going for. The Nikons aren't terrible cameras, glass is going to improve the image quality more than a new camera will and almost half the cost. I do film and i'm not quite sure for photogs but you may want to invest a variable zoom lens, an 85mm or 135mm if some close ups are what you're aiming for.
Yea I'm not really sure where I want to go with it yet, I just know that I want faster/better autofocus and sharper images. I know the autofocus speed is largely dependent on the camera and the sharpness/clarity has to deal with the glass, I wish I would have tried to figure this out during the holidays when things were much less expensive haha

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm not really sure where I want to go with it yet, I just know that I want faster/better autofocus and sharper images. I know the autofocus speed is largely dependent on the camera and the sharpness/clarity has to deal with the glass, I wish I would have tried to figure this out during the holidays when things were much less expensive haha
I personally have Rokinons Cinelens for my Blackmagic but I know that Amazon always has some great deals on Rokinons. Usually the 20-50 MM is the most expensive but you may be able to find a deal on some 85 OR 135MM lens. Rokinon is great quality glass, not too much of a difference between them and Zeiss besides price

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning the auto focus off and focusing manually? My cameras are all Micro four thirds so they dont communicate with the lens electronically. I actually prefer manual focus because I can control how sharp that image is. You can always rent lens for pretty cheap if you want to try a couple out or you can see if a local camera store can let you try out some glass to see what best fits your interest

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. Look at the close focus on any prime lens you choose for the tank.

A 50 and 35 get pretty close. (Minimum focus)
A macro , has extremely close focus.
An 85 and 105 135 will not (generally)

Sharpness depends on a few factors.
Good glass (duh) , shutter usage , and the F stop used.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning the auto focus off and focusing manually? My cameras are all Micro four thirds so they dont communicate with the lens electronically. I actually prefer manual focus because I can control how sharp that image is. You can always rent lens for pretty cheap if you want to try a couple out or you can see if a local camera store can let you try out some glass to see what best fits your interest
Yup. I got boxes of old glass.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back