BEST SKIMMER BRAND: Who get's your vote?

Who do you think makes the best protein skimmers?

• Aquamaxx

Votes: 56 4.7%
  • Bubble Magus

Votes: 82 6.8%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Hydor

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Icecap

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Maxspect

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 88 7.3%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 58 4.8%
  • Reef Octopus

Votes: 411 34.2%
  • Royal Exclusiv

Votes: 116 9.7%
  • Simplicity

Votes: 28 2.3%
  • Skimz

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • Somatic

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Tunze

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • Deltec

Votes: 69 5.7%
  • Lifereef

Votes: 74 6.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 81 6.7%

• Total voters

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cudaman if it ain't broke dont fix it. Im skimming a dry right now with my Euro-reef.
20200417_205553.jpg
I'm throwing up a little right now.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who gets your vote for best skimmer today?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still Lifereef! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Something to be said about a skimmer that's been around so long, that can use any pump, and just plain works! Most of the skimmers on the market today won't be around in a year or two when the "newest and best " model comes out!

Attachments

• 20211021_122858.jpg
    20211021_122858.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211021_122914.jpg
    20211021_122914.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 21

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that skimmer pump is made in china, right? (And is not exclusive to royal exclusive - it runs under other brand names as well)

EDIT: Taking a second look it's the RD6 pump, I'm not sure where and who makes those. So I could be wrong on that one. I thought it was the newest, "RDX" pump equiped Mini skimmer, for which the pump is made in china
You know that skimmer pump is made in china, right? (And is not exclusive to royal exclusive - it runs under other brand names as well)

EDIT: Taking a second look it's the RD6 pump, I'm not sure where and who makes those. So I could be wrong on that one. I thought it was the newest, "RDX" pump equiped Mini skimmer, for which the pump is made in china.

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT: Taking a second look it's the RD6 pump, I'm not sure where and who makes those. So I could be wrong on that one. I thought it was the newest, "RDX" pump equiped Mini skimmer, for which the pump is made in china.
I think it is a fair question, but I have not completely studied it. I ordered my system directly from Royal Exclusiv in Germany and had it shipped direct to me from Germany. I believe I was the first in the US to order a step dream box, and my skimmer has the true German made Red Dragon pump. The new USA ordered skimmer and pump appears to be the Chinese version. I paid a crazy amount of money for my filter and skimmer, but all has been flawless for the past 2.5 years. I think my system was actually a prototype for the product launch.

I do not know anything about the Chinese version of the pump, but I can say the performance and design of a Royal Exclusiv pump and skimmer far exceeds any other that I have used to date. They are expensive. If you are going to be in this hobby for YEARS…then you should consider the best. I have no skin in the game or sell their equipment. I just understand the value in owning products that are reliable, easy to maintain, and have features above and beyond the customer’s expectations. That is quality. If we are going to talk about best skimmers, then let’s talk about best skimmers.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just voted and then skipped to the end.
I don't want to be Indluenced by others.

WHO DO YOU THINK MAKES THE BEST PROTEIN SKIMMERS?​

This is such a loaded question.

People can have the same tanks with the same bioloads and the same skimmer but run them at different heights. Different results.

What is "best" for you? That is what you should seek out.

Sound is what maters to me. If I can hear it then it is too loud.

I think what makes the best skimmer is the one that is quiet while also being effective.

I know I didn't tell you.

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra reef skimmer with Royal Exclusiv , ATB, RLSS and Deltec being pretty close.

What is best?

Best build quality Royal Exclusiv, Best all around Ultra reef, Best work horse Deltec, best value RLSS and Reef Octopus, Best performance ATB.

Aquamaxx are cheaply made but work well..

These polls never indicate what the best skimmer is but what is used the most.

Most people probably have not used more than two or three skimmers let alone most on the list.
I've run an ATB Deluxe since October 2009 in my 500g tank. The build quality is second to none ... no broken part in all of this time, easy to pull apart for cleaning and very powerful in stripping out nutrient which is important for my many large sized fish.
The only problem I have faced has been the motor ... replaced 5 so far in this time ... but now I just get a Laguna Maxflo18000 body and drill out the lugs, and this fits perfectly to the ATB mounting. Not surprising as this is the motor body used from Hagen.
For me ATB !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back