BEST SKIMMER BRAND: Who get's your vote?

Who do you think makes the best protein skimmers?

• Aquamaxx

Votes: 56 4.7%
  • Bubble Magus

Votes: 82 6.8%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Hydor

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Icecap

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Maxspect

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 88 7.3%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 58 4.8%
  • Reef Octopus

Votes: 411 34.2%
  • Royal Exclusiv

Votes: 116 9.7%
  • Simplicity

Votes: 28 2.3%
  • Skimz

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • Somatic

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Tunze

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • Deltec

Votes: 69 5.7%
  • Lifereef

Votes: 74 6.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 81 6.7%

• Total voters

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just that, but with the sealed beckett. Not many of those sold before they moved to the beckett that could be taken apart.
Yeah, I had my eye on the mod kit MTC had for the removable Beckett chamber, but could never justify the $180 to fix something that wasn’t broken. Maybe every other year I have to clean it with muriatic acid, because there’s no other way to get in there. But even that isn’t too difficult.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Aquc-C and still believe it was the best skimmer I had for skimmate quality, easy to clean, and a set it and forget it ease of use. I though Cobalt was going to resurrect them. I had mine in a separate room sitting in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough sump. I miss it.

I have a couple of Nyos now. Nice skimmers.
I had heard Cobalt had bought the patent and I was expecting a return? It was a great concept and technology to produce skimmate. It was a great construction. Most all skimmers I have used since it aren’t on the same level of quality of material and build.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current skimmer I have has a Sicce syncra and it’s the loudest think on the tank.
Next skimmer would have to have a DC pump with a multi pole motor and not a two pole motor. Multi pole motors are quieter and don’t vibrate like a two pole motors.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is better right?
IMG_20181224_094851696.jpg
This is not my skimmer but at scheels in springfield. They have a 16,000g display and two 5,000g sump

MikeRizz88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running a Nyos Quantum 160, love it! Excellent skimmer! Price was a little pricey but fair! Personal experience I don’t go cheap on these things! Heart of filtration IMO!!

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I have a favorite, at present I’m using a hydor, have been for three years, and it’s been a trooper. A friend of mine had a couple of the really big ones and the crud those things pulled out was remarkable.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to pick 'other'. I've had many different skimmers and they all work. Some maybe a bit better than others, but who really cares?
I agree 100%. This is not a Rocket Science it is a pretty simple process.
I would bet the differences between the best and worst skimmer for any tank size is probably minimal while the prices can be vastly different. My money can be spent on other things that give a bigger return for the money. I am still using an ASM G3 and it works like a charm.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk protein skimmers today and put it to a vote!

1. What brand skimmer are you running on your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. Are you happy with your current skimmer?

3. If you could choose any skimmer what brand would you choose?

VOTE on your favorite brand and if I forgot a good one let me know!

Untitled-10.jpg
I like Bubble King. But have had good success with Teef Octopus.
Let's talk protein skimmers today and put it to a vote!

1. What brand skimmer are you running on your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. Are you happy with your current skimmer?

3. If you could choose any skimmer what brand would you choose?

VOTE on your favorite brand and if I forgot a good one let me know!

Untitled-10.jpg
I like Bubble King. But have had success with Reef Octopus.

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5, pulls out some great sludge. I use it on my IM25 and for those curious it does indeed fit in the back chamber. Plus it adds a little extra volume to the tank and more water is better water!

Only complaint is it's the "noisiest" piece of tank equipment I have. It's not intrusive but it's definitely white noise between the air intake and pump/bubbles.

If you don't have a sump and are looking for a HOB for a well-stocked/mid-sized tank it's great, I wouldn't run it on anything smaller than a well-stocked 20 though.

saul831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a vertex skimmer good quality built like a tank and works really good!

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua medic flotor 5000. >15 years old.
A big but simple counter-current skimmer originally equiped with wooden airblocks, now with calibrated airstones. The best commercial skimmer is probably the cheapest one as there is very little difference in the performance removing DOC between skimmers. A simple counter-current skimmer is still one of the best skimmers, outcompeting most modern designs. No moving parts, very reliable. Easy to turn into a bio-skimmer.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bubble magus anniversary edition (upgraded pump curve 5) that thing was amazing pulled consitant easy to tune and some super dark nasty skim my mom would complain if I didnt clean it every 3 days said it made the whole living room stink.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i voted octo,..asm was not included??? ;)
30 years ,bought n sold 100's skimmers ,octos are great ,in sump,hob,customer service excellent,but....
ASM #1 ,trooper easy to clean ,yes after years an impeller or shaft break,no spare ,stick a mag drive on until part arrives;)

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used skims-junk, now two reef octopus, both built very well, heavy , but my 152-s, the pump has no brackets to lock it to the base? Can easily move front to back , or tilt , they do work but I’m not that impressed!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%. This is not a Rocket Science it is a pretty simple process.
I would bet the differences between the best and worst skimmer for any tank size is probably minimal while the prices can be vastly different. My money can be spent on other things that give a bigger return for the money. I am still using an ASM G3 and it works like a charm.

Absolutely!

I won a Tunze in-tank skimmer in a contest here at R2R some time back before I became a member of the Reef Squad. When I got it I thought to myself, what possible good could this little thing be? Now I have a 16g Rock Flower Anemone breeding tank with over 30 RFAs and that little Tunze skimmer does a GREAT job. I have to admit to being impressed!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back