BEST SKIMMER BRAND: Who get's your vote?

Who do you think makes the best protein skimmers?

• Aquamaxx

Votes: 56 4.7%
  • Bubble Magus

Votes: 82 6.8%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Hydor

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Icecap

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Maxspect

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 88 7.3%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 58 4.8%
  • Reef Octopus

Votes: 411 34.2%
  • Royal Exclusiv

Votes: 116 9.7%
  • Simplicity

Votes: 28 2.3%
  • Skimz

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • Somatic

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Tunze

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • Deltec

Votes: 69 5.7%
  • Lifereef

Votes: 74 6.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 81 6.7%

• Total voters

Mad Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea's RSK skimmers have gone better than their previous skimmers but its still not any better than the leading brads in protein skimming.
I just like my nyos because they dont take up too much space in the sump and its quet and effiecient thats it
Nyos internal parts tend to break easily, can be erratic (overflow) and removing the skimmer cup is very annoying. No to Nyos bud.

OwduaNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk protein skimmers today and put it to a vote!

1. What brand skimmer are you running on your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. Are you happy with your current skimmer?

3. If you could choose any skimmer what brand would you choose?

VOTE on your favorite brand and if I forgot a good one let me know!

Untitled-10.jpg
I know most of this community likely has a Sump, but it would be nice to share the same type of polls for AIO equipment for those of us at the entry level of the hobby.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run Kent Marine, Reef Octopus, NYOS, Skimz, Aqua Max. The Kent Marine was rugged and did a great job. I'm sorry they aren't around anymore. The Skimz... it runs. LOL . Aqua Maxx is okay but the cup is a pain to clean and the body is light. The NYOS is pretty. If you have a beautiful sump that you display as much or more than your tank then the NYOS is a good match. I don't so I traded mine a few years ago. The Reef Octopus just works and as much as I'd like to knock it or have a reason to replace it I don't. That's my bottom line.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King has always worked great for me.
But I've had Eshopps, Reef Octopus and Skimz work good also.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run the same Kent Marine TE I've had for years. Works like a champ and I see no reason to switch it out. Too bad they stopped making them.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear really good things about life reef. been around for decades not well known.
I dont own one but if I was in the market I would.
I have a cpl reef octo HOB and in sump there great. but the pump on the HOB fails to start after turning it off sometimes that is a real PITA.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As asked before why no ASM on the list.
I tried one of the newer skimmers but went back to my ASM G3.
It's built like a tank and just pulls out a lot more stuff than the Cones type skimmer I tried.
I would put good money on an ASM G6 beating most skimmers on the market when used on a large tank. It's a beast.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most of this community likely has a Sump, but it would be nice to share the same type of polls for AIO equipment for those of us at the entry level of the hobby.

The Lifereef skimmers can be run externally which is how I run mine. I went externally because of the 36” height but a 24” version is available.

BBEA815E-B596-40FC-9C63-798AA72E5CEE.jpeg

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running an external 36” Lifereef skimmer and I am very pleased with its performance. I did a good amount of research before choosing this skimmer. I like the venture setup because it appears to be less problematic not having a pinwheel design.

This is my first reef tank and first skimmer so I have no other experience with other brands.

A97C79EF-B27F-4FC7-B4C5-FC83DC0B2F0B.jpeg

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is going to be best of what you've had lol. Value wise Aquamaxx is the best for me. It undercuts pretty much every brand that uses a reputable pump. Quiet, not finicky, a lot of features. It's not built like a tank but it's stationery in a sump. The design is poor man's NYOS quantum.
I had a SWC 160 cone which was a monster but the cheap pump was good for about a year. Had octopus which are ok but now overpriced (they use to be the budget knock off but have become popular and priced accordingly. The "classic" and "essence" lines are at least $50 overpriced IMO.
I believe skimmer performance is over emphasized in general. In the early days I had a seaclone and coralife's first "needlewheel" skimmer and they put out darker nastier and more skim than these supposedly superior skimmers simply because they weren't oversized for application like we all do now.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13365E12-8714-40F7-ABD1-7BB16280553E.jpeg

A Top Fathom 110! Still running today, since 1995! 25 years in operation! Very similar to a Lifereef. Venturi air induced. This one is running on a 65 gal display. The system operates on 1 iwaki 3MDQX(1200 gph), for turnover circulation and skimmer. 1/2” pvc feeding skimmer is gated down. Simplicity at its best = dependability and longevity.

Back