Best skimmer for a small space for a 100+ gallon tank?!

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, looking for some help here, I am purchasing a standard 180g aquarium soon, and I'm going to install a false wall in the back of it that is 6" deep, in order to have a built in sump and leave me with 18" of display depth. The actual water depth of the tank will only be kept at approximately 18 inches as well (plus an inch and a half or two of sand below that for a total height of display being 20 inches or so). The extra 3-4 inches of space inside the aquarium at the top will be unused and covered by the walls of a canopy with lights mounted inside. This is all going to be this way to achieve my desired "display water volume" of 72x18x18.

So herein lies the question... what is a good skimmer that has a footprint that at least 1 direction is 6"? The width aspect of the skimmer can be 6, 8, 10, 12 inches, doesnt matter since I have 72" of length width to utilize, but I will only have the 6 inches available between the sump wall and the back wall of the tank. The closest thing I have found in my preliminary searches that is capable of skimming the 100-105g display area + sump volume is the Bubble Magus Curve 5, which is about 7 inches on its most narrow side.

Thanks if you read this far!!!
-Trevor

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curve 5 will be very undersized. Tunze 9016 would be my choice. Can't go wrong with tunze.

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aah. Wait. I see it has been discontinued. Though on Premium Aquatics' website it says they have stock. Maybe double check. Otherwise see if you can't get a second hand model.

Or a 9012 would be great too.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice suggestions so far! The 9016 is a little pricier than I'd like i think, but the 9012 is a lot better for me on that aspect, $300 or less for new price would be ideal, and the 9012 is $255 new right now on Marine Depot! The AquaMaxx Q2 still is a little bit too big of a footprint, and a little high on price, I guess I should have said $300 or less in original post, sorry guys! Thanks though!!!! Keep suggestions coming, so far I'm liking the Tunze 9012 idea if I can find one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered an external skimmer or is it not possible to add equipment under the tank?

I am trying to have everything maintained within the tank itself. I will have shelving under the tank and no doors or anything, so I'd like it to be all contained and look really clean. I did consider external momentarily though.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to have everything maintained within the tank itself. I will have shelving under the tank and no doors or anything, so I'd like it to be all contained and look really clean. I did consider external momentarily though.

I see..

I guess you could utilize a Tunze 9012, which is currently $255.65 at Marine Depot with their "Skimmate" coupon code.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice suggestions so far! The 9016 is a little pricier than I'd like i think, but the 9012 is a lot better for me on that aspect, $300 or less for new price would be ideal, and the 9012 is $255 new right now on Marine Depot! The AquaMaxx Q2 still is a little bit too big of a footprint, and a little high on price, I guess I should have said $300 or less in original post, sorry guys! Thanks though!!!! Keep suggestions coming, so far I'm liking the Tunze 9012 idea if I can find one.

Marine depot has the best prices for Aquamaxx.(more so during holiday sales) Bummer it's foot print is little too big for yah. Reef Octopus SS series would be my #2 choice than Tunze.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back