Best skimmer for IM NUVO 40

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says. I'm currently running a tunze 9004 and it produces well but I have been getting micro bubbles pretty bad. I also don't like that I have to run it in one of the over flow changes giving up filter sock or floss. I'm looking at the new nuvoskim from innovative marine. Let me know what you guys think!

goober

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the tunze 9004 on my nuvo 40 for over a year and while it was great as my system moved to full SPS and the frags started growing into mini colonies I wanted something more oversized for the system. I have a hang on back eshopps psk-75h and couldn't be happier. Really depends on what kind of system you will run. If you are looking at a mixed reef im sure the tunze 9004 is still the best. As for micro bubbles I never had that problem. If you google that issue though many people recommend cleaning the skimmer and making sure the air tube is connected properly to the pump inside. This is a common issue with it.

If you want a beast of a skimmer that your SPS will love, I can't recommend the eshopps psk-75h enough. However it might make the water too clean for LPS.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the tunze 9004 on my nuvo 40 for over a year and while it was great as my system moved to full SPS and the frags started growing into mini colonies I wanted something more oversized for the system. I have a hang on back eshopps psk-75h and couldn't be happier. Really depends on what kind of system you will run. If you are looking at a mixed reef im sure the tunze 9004 is still the best. As for micro bubbles I never had that problem. If you google that issue though many people recommend cleaning the skimmer and making sure the air tube is connected properly to the pump inside. This is a common issue with it.

If you want a beast of a skimmer that your SPS will love, I can't recommend the eshopps psk-75h enough. However it might make the water too clean for LPS.
Yeah my nutrients stay pretty low right now, 3-5 nitrate undetectable phosphates. My tank is about 3 months old and I have a mixed reef right now will all corals being small frags. I like the tunze but I really want to free up that over flow chamber to run floss or a sock.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much room is needed behind the tank to run the eShop hob?

goober

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer hangs 3-1/2" off the back of the tank. I have my intake in my far right chamber along with a cobalt pump supplying a TLF reactor. I find I only need one filter sock on the left side because I already hate cleaning the thing every few days lol

As you can see I had to tape off the areas exposed to my light to prevent algae growth inside the body.

WyaZO9n.jpg

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that may be a little big for my set up, something I'll consider though. Any other in tank options? nuvoskim or others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back