Best skimmer for tightly pulling in outside air?

johnt_tally

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current skimmer, from SCA, is hooked up to the largest IceCap CO2 scrubber. I run an airline from the IceCap to the outside. I see virtually no change in my pH from when I have the outside air drawn in to when I disconnect that airline. So I'm wondering if the issue might be my skimmer and a new skimmer might work better for tightly drawing in outside air (through the scrubber). Does anyone have any experience and recommendations with skimmers that, when drawing air from outside, you see an appreciable increase in your pH value? I was looking at LIfeReef and the two my Maxspect. Thanks in advance!
Edit 1: When I open my windows, the pH appreciable increases. The pH ranges from 7.6 to 7.9 with the windows closed to 7.98 to 8.1 with the windows open. So one would conclude that my pH is lower when my house is closed up; hence, the thought that pulling in outside aire into the skimmer SHOULD increase my pH even with the windows closed.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issue. No change in PH whatsoever after installing scrubber. Then I copied a setup someone else had in here with some small water jar in the input line to the scrubber to keep the scrubber media moist and I have seen it now go to 8.3 from 8 or 8.1 previously.
I suggest trying that before getting a new skimmer? cheaper. Worst case scenario doesn't work and you can still upgrade skimmer

OP
OP
J

johnt_tally

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try it, but I'm having trouble visualizing the solution. Can you give a little more detail? And thank you for sharing!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to take a pic of mine when I get home, probably easier. But it is very simple, I think the name they used on the threads here was a "humidity chamber". Pretty much same thing what this guy did in this video

As for me, I didn't use such a large container. I drilled 2 holes in the cap of an algaebarn copepod jar. Nothing special, any jar will do. I put some water in the jar and I have to refill it every other week as it evaporates. Very similar time to my co2 media change.
Setup will look like this:
Outside air > tubing > jar with water > co2 scrubber > intake skimmer

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back