Best Sponge to try for someone whos new to Sponges?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So the title really explains it all, im a newbie to sponges but have the basics down of how they can't be exposed to air, need shade, lots of food etc.
I've had good success/still going of keeping different NPS Corals / Inverts such as: Some Assorted species of Sun Coral, Photosynthetic Gorgs, a couple NPS Gorgs, a Christmas Tree Rock, and a couple Dwarf Feather Dusters.

My question is, for a newbie to sponges, which is "the best" for someone to try out? I do have a shaded spot in the Rock work, so im most likely just going to go with 1 species. The species I have available to me are:
Yellow Ball, Orange Tree, Red Tree, and Aussie Spider Sponge.

I've heard of the Yellow Ball having good success in Aquariums, could anyone else vouch for them? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red finger, and elephant ear. Assure there is plenty of phytoplankton and suspended meaty foods for them to latch as it passes by. Marine snow also good.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red finger, and elephant ear. Assure there is plenty of phytoplankton and suspended meaty foods for them to latch as it passes by. Marine snow also good.
Thank you! For sure on the part of food too, I've been dosing RN Phyto+Oyster Feast daily for the Christmas Worms, Sun Coral, and Gorgs. I hope my current schedule is good for the sponges too. I'll look into Marine Snow + A couple other foods as well

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is the yellow ball. Mine is a couple years old. I have success with the trees but they can get finicky. I had two fall apart on me but what was cool was that the small pieces rooted elsewhere in the tank. They lived and are fine but have not grown into trees. I have not tried a spider but I am tempted. A local shop has one for two months. If you can find an encrusting red sponge, grab it, easy. Elephant ears are pretty sturdy also. Right now, I have seven sponges and a whole bunch of pieces. If your tank is at least a couple years old, stir up the bottom to get the detritus floating. Sponges, especially the tree types, need that microscopic food.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried any of the PS plating sponges?
Have red and purple in my tanks for years… most visitors mistake them as corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back