best substrate to use and reuse live rock?

Reefy Feller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm a newbie here and am certain this question has been posed many times... I currently have a 55 gal fish only with sand and live rock. 4-5 years old now. Am getting a new 140 gal to setup and in planning stage. I currently have sand mixed with crushed shell/larger sand pieces for substrate and like it because it seems to hold up and not blow around so easily with my wave maker. I'm thinking of doing similar for the 130gal I'll be getting - but will be running a vortech mp40 and couple other wave makers... I don't want to just blow sand around so recommendations? Think my plan is good? Also, I am thinking of moving my live rock I currently have to the new tank because my current tank is very clean - no real bad hitchhikers. Also have dry caribsea rock for additional rock. My thinking is adding my current live rock (after cycling complete) with help the dry rock "cure" faster... Recommendations?

20200925_160612_resized.jpg 20200925_160621_resized.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well, maybe I am illiterate today or just tired.
But I dont know there was a question in your question....

Sand will blow around as you know. I dont know of a particular brand or grain size that wont.
If your going to have fish that require sand then a blend of sand and crushed coral will not be ideal.

If you want to transfer your live rock just do it from the start.
You could have 100 times more water volume and another 100 lbs of dry rock it will not be an issue. Your tank will still be cycled.
If you transfer the same livestock your fine as the old transfered rock had BB to cope with the load.
You will just need to go slow adding livestock, this will allow the BB to grow with the livestock load.

Sorry if this did not help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back