Best Tankmates for Coral Banded Shark?

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting a coral banded shark egg soon and I was wondering what tank mates would be good to house with it. I've seen that people had them with many small fish and seemed fine and I've seen them in full blown reefs and they were fine so I'm not sure. I know if you keep em fed they should stay to themselves but overall, it IS a shark lol. They're natural predators.

My tank is a 150g Marineland RR with a 51g custom sump, heavy skimmer filtration(Skimz), reactors, socks etc etc. I know my tank size will cause some concern to others so please refrain from yelling or making snide remarks. I would really appreciate it.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say! Thanks!

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its either gong to be a coral catshark or a banded bamboo. I will post pictures below comparing the two. If possible you should get 2 or 3 eggs in case one dies, it happens. Once they hatch it will be eaiser to get them to eat if they have buddies. Depending on which shark you get your tank will be good for at least a year. If I was you I will hatch it in the sump so you can keep a better eye on it. It also won't have tankmates stressing it out. A floating breeders box works too. Make sure to keep it away from air bubbles near the overflow or skimmer.

As for your question. Groupers, snappers, eels, grunts, porkfish make good tankmates. Sometimes grazers such as tangs and wrasses give them problems. Small fish like clowns, damsels and firefish will be fine when the shark is small. As the shark grows don't be suprised if the smaller fish go missing. What do you have in the tank now?

Bamboo on the left coral on the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have 3 Chromis in there and some snails, that's it. I keep getting confused on the shark names.

People keep saying that coral cat shark isn't a real thing and to others it is lol

which shark is this?
uploadfromtaptalk1426715531854.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now I get it. I kept getting confused on everything I was reading. Thanks for clearing that up.

I LOVE the bamboo shark but they get way too large as oppose to the coral that gets maybe half its max size.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told you couldn't get coral cat sharks as eggs. Is this correct?

Yes you can, they are usually cheaper then the bamboos. Ask your LFS if they can order your some. Ask the. to check their list by the scientific name, they are sometimes incorrectly labled. You can also call NY Aquatics and ask them to order them for you. They sometimes have them listed on their website.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, they are usually cheaper then the bamboos. Ask your LFS if they can order your some. Ask the. to check their list by the scientific name, they are sometimes incorrectly labled. You can also call NY Aquatics and ask them to order them for you. They sometimes have them listed on their website.
Ok will do! Thanks!

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed NY Aquatics asking about coral cat shark eggs. Waiting to hear back. I've asked locally and no one can seem to get one so far. Seems they are harder to come by then bamboo shark eggs :/

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you every come to Long Island I can get you some. I will also PM you a number of someone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back