Best tips for a newbie reefer!?

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun… would love to hear your best tips and advice for a newbie reefer!
I have a 20 gallon IM nuvo fusion. I upgraded the return pump. I use filter socks/carbon/and filter floss. I am doing weekly water changes. I do not plan on ever using a skimmer (hoping the water changes will suffice)
I would love to eventually get to a place to minimal water testing (just weekly?)

what can I do to hopefully prevent any gnarly algae issues?

I currently have: 2 clowns, a fire shrimp, 3 hermits, various types of mushrooms, some happy Duncan’s, a cabbage leather, zoas, and a recently added, unhappy torch, which I will be trying to figure out. I think it was unhappy before purchasing…

thanks!!

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies happen, it is part of the ecosystem within your aquarium. people make much too big of a deal and worry way too much about algae, it’s on natural reefs in the wild and should be in your aquarium.

Embrace it and then erase with daily manual removal.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun… would love to hear your best tips and advice for a newbie reefer!
I have a 20 gallon IM nuvo fusion. I upgraded the return pump. I use filter socks/carbon/and filter floss. I am doing weekly water changes. I do not plan on ever using a skimmer (hoping the water changes will suffice)
I would love to eventually get to a place to minimal water testing (just weekly?)

what can I do to hopefully prevent any gnarly algae issues?

I currently have: 2 clowns, a fire shrimp, 3 hermits, various types of mushrooms, some happy Duncan’s, a cabbage leather, zoas, and a recently added, unhappy torch, which I will be trying to figure out. I think it was unhappy before purchasing…

thanks!!
Algae is your friend, and patience is key

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back