"Best" tubing for remote mounted Apex DoS fish room to main display tank.

VG30DE-TT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about moving actual tank water from one room to another, I just have a Apex DoS that I'm using for daily water change, and I'll soon be adding another for actual DoSing I'd like to move the DoS units to an adjacent room along with their liquid containers. I see a lot of people say to use RO tubing, but as far as I know RO tubing is a stiff plastic. the DoS units come with a decent amount a soft clear 1/4" tube that pushes up on to a tapered compression type fitting on the DoS unit. I'm not sure the RO tubing I'm thinking of is up for that connection. I think the easiest answer would be 6-12" or so of the Neptune tube to a 1/4" Mur-Lok or push lock type fitting and then 15-25' RO tubing between, but that's 16 O-rings in 4 tubes, Right off the bat that seems like a lot of chances for a failure.

Also I have seen the 1/4" push lock siphon breaks, seems like those would be a good idea for 3 outa my 4 tubes but the OUT line from the Tank through the DoS to the "dirty" water container from the auto water change , I think I'd need to mout it higher thatn the tank water level and backwards? if that makes sense... does that make sense? Luckily My dispaly tank and the proposed DoSing room are on the same floor of my house

20210220_091832.jpg 20210212_182525.jpg

OP
OP
VG30DE-TT

VG30DE-TT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found, this
1614027465293.png

They are 1/8" NPTF -to- 1/4" Push-Lok / Mur-LoK they sould screw right up on the DoS pumps (w/ teflon tape ;) ) , and eliminate 1/2 the O-ring connections in my potential system. Saltwater aquariums . com has them for 4 for $19.99 I thought that was pricey, so funny story, I have 2x HomeDepot and 2x Lowes in my town, across 4 stores and 2hrs I got my hands on 3 individual fittings (Looks like they will work GREAT) but nowhere near what I need.....

it's not like I have to move everything today, I've ordered from SWA.COM this looks like a cool solution to my previous issue, I thought I would share

Attachments

• 1614028220038.png
    1614028220038.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 21

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The original tubing is garbage. I swap all mine to John guest fittings with ro line. So much easier and cleaner. Make sure to use a turn of plumbers tape on the threads on the dos fittings And hand tighten the adapter fittings.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found, this
1614027465293.png

They are 1/8" NPTF -to- 1/4" Push-Lok / Mur-LoK they sould screw right up on the DoS pumps (w/ teflon tape ;) ) , and eliminate 1/2 the O-ring connections in my potential system. Saltwater aquariums . com has them for 4 for $19.99 I thought that was pricey, so funny story, I have 2x HomeDepot and 2x Lowes in my town, across 4 stores and 2hrs I got my hands on 3 individual fittings (Looks like they will work GREAT) but nowhere near what I need.....

it's not like I have to move everything today, I've ordered from SWA.COM this looks like a cool solution to my previous issue, I thought I would share

These work great. I use them for my 2 part dosing as well as my AWC that I run 1/4” polyethylene tubing a long distance in my crawl space.

I hand tighten to the DOS and then a slight turn of a wrench. I don’t use any teflon tape, no leaks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back