Best type of pistol shrimp??

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a YWG and a tiger pistol shrimp. At first everything was great, but recently the shrimp and I have been going to war. He is rearranging everything in the entire tank and moving frags and being a bit too destructive. I can't blame him since that is what he lives to do though.

My question is are there different types of pistol shrimps besides tigers that are less destructive? Also will my goby be fine without his shrimp friend for a bit?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Randall’s Pistol Shrimp aka Candy Cane which is one of the smallest and saw him pull a small snail not too long ago but 2 days ago I saw him pull a dead frag under. I was impressed and laughing at the same time. I think is something that is bound to happen so I just moved anything loose from the entrance to his burrow.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Randall’s Pistol Shrimp aka Candy Cane which is one of the smallest and saw him pull a small snail not too long ago but 2 days ago I saw him pull a dead frag under. I was impressed and laughing at the same time. I think is something that is bound to happen so I just moved anything loose from the entrance to his burrow.
Haha mine has been pulling full 2 inch frag disks, and while I am impressed, I don't want to be constantly battling him. Since the Candy Cane is smaller than the Tiger, would it be a bad assumption to think it wouldn't be as destructive?

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank I and a wheeler and Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp. They where an aswome pair since they where both Red striped. I really had no issue with the pistol shrimp running off with things, But I also did not put frag plugs directly in the sand bed. I also had some loose rubble out for the shrimp and urchin to pick up and moved around. Which I think helped.. They where fun to watch. Maybe one day I'll do it again.

He had many entries into his tunnel system for about a month the shrimp had this one on the side of the tank which was awesome.

1601068547327.png

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy cane in my small tank, have not really seen it in a month, but can tell he is still kickin under a bigger rock. In the big tank is a Tiger pistol with tiger goby. Twice now we thought the shrimp was a goner, but shows back up 1-2 weeks later. Really fun to watch shrimp and his goby work together

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Tiger Pistol/Goby pair. In my experience of all of my many reef tanks and all of my many regrets in regards to livestock the Reef Lobster was the only creature more annoying than the tiger pistol shrimp, just my personal opinion, I placed him in a large 125 gallon euphillia/ Goni/ Zoa Display Tank and he can pull full huge multiple head torch coral or full Scolyimia’s into his little area always decorating the entrance to his network of caves with the coral growth and many pounds of live rock preventing me from removing him...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back