Best Up-To Date book?

judetheobscure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start a reef tank, and am doing the reading first. I have Borneman's "Aquarium Corals", and Michael's "101 Best Marine Invertebrates". These seem to be a fine books, but the latter is not really intended to be comprehensive of methods and knowledge, and the former is dated "2001", so I have to believe there is a lot of new and not-even-so-new information I will want.

I have looked at some on-line tutorials, and they seem to offer little more than common sense, (at least to someone like me, who had a marine tank way back in the 70's), with nothing about the latest thinking on trace elements, zooxanthellae inoculation, and similar esoterica. What then, is the best example of a comprehensive, up-to-date tutorial or book?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium book market has tanked, pardon the pun.
I don’t think a major book has been published in the past five years. TFH publications has no books forthcoming. My own fish disease book is sitting unpublished.
Your best information resource is likely right where you are now....
Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read The Bible.
It answers a lot.
For Reefs, Jay is correct

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you are better off with this site than a book. A book is going to give you one person’s perspective. This site gives a broad perspective. Many ways to approach and solve many issues in this hobby. You also get the latest thinking in this hobby. Also many experts on this site to assist with your aquarium.

For example, a great primer to get you started:

Last edited:
Back