Best Urchin for Coralline Control?

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, what's the best urchin to control coralline algae? It would be going in my prop tank which is completely covered with coralline algae on all the glass that has no live rock, just egg crate and frags...all the live rock and such is in the sump.

I am looking for an urchin that has a huge appetite for coralline, but at the same time doesn't want to wear my frag plugs as a hat. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Jon

Last edited:

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink decorator urchin is doing a great job. Actually too good! If you want to pay for shipping I'll send it to you for free. ;]

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont get the black long spine, I cant tell you how many times i got stuck from not paying attention, not to mention it kept knocking all my frags off that are not attatched.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All urchins will eat coraline and other algae.
The diadema sp. Black long spine is the most agile and fastest. It will consume more than the others mentioned including the Marble rock boring urchin.

Yes, it will poke you if your not looking and it will move frags if not secured.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all urchins will move frags if they are not secured. That is the nature of the beast. They don't care if there is a frag on top of the coraline they are trying to get too.

I had some diademas, they were fabulous but when they finished off the coraline they started munching on my xenia (I know, it's just a weed, but I like it) so they had to go.

Sandy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back