Best way to add sand to a established tank?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I searched for this topic and couldn't find any info on it. I hate sand beds it means no nice current on the bottom. But I love my wrasses and like some one just told me why not give them the best home possible? As of right now i have only flashers which dont use sand to sleep but would like a few that do. So what is the safest way to add live rock with ZERO chance of anything happening? I was going to use that pre-cured sand, would it be best to cook it first and add it in four quarters?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really hate the sandbed and want an easy fix for the wrasse, try putting a suitable sized container of sand on the bottom for the wrasse to sleep in. That is if you have the space. Its the next best option if you don't want the hassle of a full sandy bottom

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that would look weird. I Hate SB for two reasons, one i hate when it is fine and flys all over, and two i hate to clean it and the possibility's of negative it brings.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy just keeps his container behind the rockwork so you barely know its there. If you had space of course.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ill try that and see where it goes. I do have ton of space i could hide a 5 by 8 container. Do you think the little inch deep Pyrex glass containers will be fine? Also the lets say potter will find this sand bed to sleep in?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Eden is really good sand, and IMO, the best as far as clean sand goes. I added it to my already established tank for my wrasses as well. I didn't rinse it and it didn't cloud the water at all. No problems what so ever. FWIW, I wouldnt use the smallest grain size if you like flow and I would recommend using a larger one . I used the small grain size first, then removed it and replaced it with the bigger grain size. Now my wrasses and I both are happy.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added sand several times to keep up my dsb I have 36x24x24 90 g mixed reef tank I used live sand but rinsed it 5 lbs at a time with r/o water till it was as clear as the water would get. I turned off all water movers & waited till the water was still. then I put the sand in a small cup slowly lowered it into the tank & slowly poured it evenly across the bottom I did 5 lbs waited a week then 5 lbs more took a month total. since I already had critters in my sandbed I didn't want to add too much at a time so they would have time to relocate upwards after each addition I took a turkey baster & blew any sand off the rocks etc (no matter how careful I was there was still some that floated & settled on rocks etc.) water still had a bit of a cloudyness but went away after about a hour. never saw any ill effects on tank inhabitants

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume so. My radiant sleeps in only a 1-2 inch sand bed fine. Given the option of sand in a dish or nothing I'd hope he go sand.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya he will find it... wrasses are very smart from my exp with them....that size container should be fine also... if it dont work out you can always dump the dish and begin to fill the bottom slowly over a couple weeks...

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using the pre-cured stuff just cut the corner off the bag and hold that corner in one hand and put that corner all the way to the bottom of the tank and slowly dump out and there will be very little cloudiness.
If you don't like sand blowing around mix a few different grades together I have done this and I have about 8500gph going through my tank and sand never moves! And I have sugar grade-crushed coral and it looks good to me and I never clean it either, for like 5+ yrs now!
a6cd8961-0a1b-7154.jpg

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I have added new sand, which is precured (like the caribsea) I used a section of 2" pvc and poured the sand in with a funnel. The sand went right to the bottom and I had very little clouding effect.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the recommended minimum sand bed depth to make a wrasse happy?

Depends on the wrasse but 2-3" would be optimal but with some of the smaller wrasses you could do an 1"

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I searched for this topic and couldn't find any info on it. I hate sand beds it means no nice current on the bottom. But I love my wrasses and like some one just told me why not give them the best home possible? As of right now i have only flashers which dont use sand to sleep but would like a few that do. So what is the safest way to add live rock with ZERO chance of anything happening? I was going to use that pre-cured sand, would it be best to cook it first and add it in four quarters?

Some flashers do use sand to sleep, and from my research on the McCoskers, will also dive down into the sand when frightened.

Whenever I have added new sand, which is precured (like the caribsea) I used a section of 2" pvc and poured the sand in with a funnel. The sand went right to the bottom and I had very little clouding effect.

+1 once you get a sandbed started, never add more than about a 1/4 of new sand on top of it at a time.

Depends on the wrasse but 2-3" would be optimal but with some of the smaller wrasses you could do an 1"

Do your research here as some do require a DSB.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the cup method as previously mentioned before without the sand storm, turn off powerheads though.....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back