Best Way To Avoid Possible Fish to Human Diseases?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know there will probably be many comments saying it's rare (at least I'd hope it's rare lol), but being someone with a compromised immune system I get a bit sketched out when it comes to health related things.

So the question(s) is(are), how common are Fish To Human Diseases REALLY (honestly), such as Fish TB for one example, and what can I do to make it even more rare if not even next to impossible to happen?

-Are there certain things I can put in my filter?
-Are there certain things to avoid and/or do (I assume the obvious is try to keep it as clean as possible with regular water changes, also to wear gloves)?
-I've heard of UV Sterilizers, is that something that you can run frequently and would that help eliminate disease causing bacteria?
-Are all fish diseases that can transfer to human only via open wounds or also other ways (example: if airborne is possible should a mask help as a preventative)?
-Etc. etc.

I know this may seem crazy or over the top to some, especially those who have been in the hobby for the longest time, but my way of thinking is the old saying "better safe than sorry" and if I can be extra precautious and safe to reduce the (hopefully already rare) risk, then I say that's better than not! ;)

Thanks for bearing with me on this topic! :)

The first thing I always tell people is to check with their physician. I'm not a doctor, and most of here are not as well.

Always wear gloves, never siphon by mouth, never expose broken skin to the water and wash with soap and water after working on your tank.

I've gotten mycobacteria from aquariums. I was asymptomitc, it showed up on a routine TB test. It went away on its own.

There isn't anything you can do to your aquarium to resolve this, but UV sterilizers do reduce bacterial loading to some degree (but not 100%).

Jay

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know there will probably be many comments saying it's rare (at least I'd hope it's rare lol), but being someone with a compromised immune system I get a bit sketched out when it comes to health related things.

So the question(s) is(are), how common are Fish To Human Diseases REALLY (honestly), such as Fish TB for one example, and what can I do to make it even more rare if not even next to impossible to happen?

-Are there certain things I can put in my filter?
-Are there certain things to avoid and/or do (I assume the obvious is try to keep it as clean as possible with regular water changes, also to wear gloves)?
-I've heard of UV Sterilizers, is that something that you can run frequently and would that help eliminate disease causing bacteria?
-Are all fish diseases that can transfer to human only via open wounds or also other ways (example: if airborne is possible should a mask help as a preventative)?
-Etc. etc.

I know this may seem crazy or over the top to some, especially those who have been in the hobby for the longest time, but my way of thinking is the old saying "better safe than sorry" and if I can be extra precautious and safe to reduce the (hopefully already rare) risk, then I say that's better than not! ;)

Thanks for bearing with me on this topic! :)
In risk management circles, we call this "risk avoidance." While this may sound dumb, don't keep fish. Another way is "risk transference" or "let someone else handle the fish." There are some others, but these are the best ways; otherwise, one must generally have some form of "acceptance" of that risk.

I don't handle my fish; I use gloves and wash my hands frequently. In my case, I use avoidance in some cases and acceptance in others. However, one must not be averse to all risks in this hobby and with the most fruitful endeavors.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps keep the water clear and kills things like ich, algae, and other fish diseases. No it’s not for us it’s for the fish or algae etc.
Oh gotcha! So in terms of the topic of this post UV is irrelevant, but in terms of a healthier environment for my fish and to add an extra layer of cleanliness to the tank, a UV would be a good investment?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I always tell people is to check with their physician. I'm not a doctor, and most of here are not as well.

Always wear gloves, never siphon by mouth, never expose broken skin to the water and wash with soap and water after working on your tank.

I've gotten mycobacteria from aquariums. I was asymptomitc, it showed up on a routine TB test. It went away on its own.

There isn't anything you can do to your aquarium to resolve this, but UV sterilizers do reduce bacterial loading to some degree (but not 100%).

Jay
For your first point that's fair, I should probably do that (I'm just not sure who would know more about diseases from this hobby; other hobbyists or a Doctor, though I would sure hope the Doctor would know more about the actual diseases themselves of course!)

I have one of those siphons with the squeeze pump thing on it, so no mouth required thankfully (disease or not, I'm not keen on dirty fish water getting in my mouth LOL).

Oh wow, really eh? So not everyone ends up with symptoms from TB? I had no idea. Also, a routine TB test? I didn't realize they did routine TB testing.

So in theory a UV would help reduce the chances of various diseases/bad bacteria flourishing eh? Sounds like a good investment either way!

All that said, are these diseases typically only from introducing new things to your aquarium? For example, if I introduce a couple clowns let's say and they're fine, can these sort of diseases occur "naturally" if you will?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic but I'm on the opposite end of the worry/caution spectrum -- I never even wear gloves.

One thing that surprised me is how many posts mentioned "mouth syphon"
Gravity is all I've ever needed to start a syphon so multiple references to "mouth syphon" is a head scratcher to me.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pet you keep will present a challenge to immunity. A marine fish tank can harbor some particularly nasty ones.
I agree with Mr Hemdal. Ask your doctor.

Beyond that will depend on your personality. Can you take preventive measure like wearing gloves EVERY time you work in the tank. Properly treat even minor scrapes and punctures EVERY time you receive them.

There are many ways to start a siphon without using your mouth. But your mouth is always there. I have tasted my tank water many times. It reminds me of swimming in the ocean.

A UV will reduce the bacteria in the water that flows through it. It will not sterilize the tank.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you have a weak immune system you could run in to problems working around your tanks.
I seldom wear gloves and siphon by starting with mouth for 50 years and hardy ever take in water.
they only time I would and have used gloves was to protect the tank from chemicals when I’m working on a car or bike which is something I do often.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh gotcha! So in terms of the topic of this post UV is irrelevant, but in terms of a healthier environment for my fish and to add an extra layer of cleanliness to the tank, a UV would be a good investment?
Yes overall for your fish and the tank! And as Jay said which probably should’ve been mentioned before ask your doctor to be 100% sure. We are hobbyists who have fish keeping experience. Your doctor knows about disease, disease prevention, and your individual health history.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, if you want cheap gloves that are disposable. Which gives you better feel then the thick rubber gloves. Calving glove are nice and cheap

Product Details​

Producer's Pride OB Sleeves are shoulder-length and made of premium polyethylene fiber for maximum strength and optimal sensitivity. These livestock surgical sleeves measure 36 in. in length and have a 1.25 mm thickness. The clear OB sleeves are perfect for livestock care.
  • 36 in. long OB sleeves
  • 1.25 mm thick
  • Clear OB sleeves constructed of premium polyethylene fiber
  • Pack of 10 sleeves included
    B098522A-6055-4F6F-A941-F659563EC53B.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm allergic to, well - everything - so whenever I remove my hands from the tank I thoroughly scrub with soap and a nylon sponge, and then re-scrub with an aluminum cleaning bar. I do have a UV sterilizer and (new) ozone system on my tank, and I run active carbon in a reactor.

I've yet to run into anything that would cause me grief (other than inadvertently super-glueing my fingers together), but if I notice any obvious cuts or open wounds I glove the affected hands.
Lol! Haven’t we all superglued our fingers together at some point well at least I have as well…but not fish tank related.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: And acetone will dissolve the glue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But does a UV not kill a variety of things and therefore keeps the tank healthier and cleaner, and so in theory reduces the chance of disease since the tank is extra healthy? (I’m not sure the entire ins and outs of a UV that’s why I ask)
In theory. But most 'infections' from a skin injury from a tank come from the bacteria on your skin. I suppose if you have a bacterial bloom with vibrio, a UV would lessen the numbers. But - for most people IMHO, a UV will not prevent 'infection'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forgot to answer whether a mask is necessary - IMHO 'no'.

And - completely agree with others - ask your Doctor. There are a lot of things people that are immunosuppressed are not supposed to do - like eat raw seafood (Vibrio), be near cat litter (toxoplasmosis), etc etc etc. Hopefully they told you some of these things.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to answer whether a mask is necessary - IMHO 'no'.

And - completely agree with others - ask your Doctor. There are a lot of things people that are immunosuppressed are not supposed to do - like eat raw seafood (Vibrio), be near cat litter (toxoplasmosis), etc etc etc. Hopefully they told you some of these things.
My Doctors have never mentioned anything in regards to pets before, but I'll have to be sure to bring it up!

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look up palytoxins if you plan on keeping coral. Some corals can secrete toxins and some fish have poison in their fins. It would be a good idea to do a lot of studying before you buy any livestock

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my skimmer cups with my hands over the sink, I recently splashed skimmate into my eye. Yikes

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look up palytoxins if you plan on keeping coral. Some corals can secrete toxins and some fish have poison in their fins. It would be a good idea to do a lot of studying before you buy any livestock
I was reading about palytoxins a week or 2 ago actually and would want to stay far away from those kinds of coral if I do end up having coral at some point! Are there corals that are generally safe and don't have toxins?

As for the fish, I haven't fully learnt about which ones have poison and are a bad idea for me. Clownfish are safe though, right!? (I hope haha)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was reading about palytoxins a week or 2 ago actually and would want to stay far away from those kinds of coral if I do end up having coral at some point! Are there corals that are generally safe and don't have toxins?

As for the fish, I haven't fully learnt about which ones have poison and are a bad idea for me. Clownfish are safe though, right!? (I hope haha)
Avoid all zoas then if you are that worried but I always tell people not to worry about that. Just don’t boil them or if you ever frag them caution should be taken. Other soft corals are great beginner corals.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-corals-can’t-kill-my-family.923976/post-10395570

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back