Best way to boost zoa growth?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what would be the best way to boost zoa growth. I have 2 heads on my utter chaos zoa plug and have noticed 3/4 pups on the side.
I've noticed with some other setups their zoas grow very fast but I've had mine for 4 weeks and I've only just noticed pups growing on the side. My tank is 2 years old now and running very well with no issues. My corals are open and never closed on me so I know they are happy and growing well it's just the zoas that seem to be growing slow but others I've had have grown alot faster than these ones.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what would be the best way to boost zoa growth. I have 2 heads on my utter chaos zoa plug and have noticed 3/4 pups on the side.
I've noticed with some other setups their zoas grow very fast but I've had mine for 4 weeks and I've only just noticed pups growing on the side. My tank is 2 years old now and running very well with no issues. My corals are open and never closed on me so I know they are happy and growing well it's just the zoas that seem to be growing slow but others I've had have grown alot faster than these ones.
Just give them time. I’ve found that zoas take awhile to acclimate. Meaning a couple months or more. Then when they start growing, they don’t stop. I had one head of a UC earlier this year. Just fragged this about 6 weeks ago and it grew 3 heads. But it was slow in the beginning. Iodine supplementation is also thought to speed them along. I dose All For Reef daily which contains iodine. But this is only anecdotal.
5289181B-D2C5-491E-8BB1-3D7CB54EE45E.jpeg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species... problems with zoas is you really don't know at what depth they'll thrive at. Some at 10ft of water = more white light. Some at 60ft = almost 95% actinic.

Its a mystery and takes luck to find their sweetspot

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a decent growth rate. You may be comparing your current growth rate to some “weed” zoa/paly growth, which those tend to be the exception. Zoas tend to adjust to most parameters fine. Patience is key in this hobby though

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species... problems with zoas is you really don't know at what depth they'll thrive at. Some at 10ft of water = more white light. Some at 60ft = almost 95% actinic.

Its a mystery and takes luck to find their sweetspot
This is my theory, they are able to adapt after getting used to light and parameters. Some do seem to grow faster than others like eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes. But even my high end zoas eventually took off.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my theory, they are able to adapt after getting used to light and parameters. Some do seem to grow faster than others like eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes. But even my high end zoas eventually took off.
Zoas are weird dudes... ive seen zoas not grow for months, then take off and cover a rock, then die off. Its like they have only a certain amt of time in a life cycle. That's why I like palys like 10x better, more durable and longer lasting

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are weird dudes... ive seen zoas not grow for months, then take off and cover a rock, then die off. Its like they have only a certain amt of time in a life cycle. That's why I like palys like 10x better, more durable and longer lasting
I have a love/hate with zoas. I wish when I started I got better ones. Would have at least made me more money for fragging :p A speckled krak farm would have made me some big bucks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back