Best Way to Clean Cuvettes?

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an HR Copper Checker for my QT tank and as of late I've been having to check maybe up to 4 times just to get a semi-accurate reading and I'm wondering what's the best way to clean my cuvettes? I know there's Hanna's cuvette cleaner solution but is this really worth it or is there a much cheaper and effective way of cleaning them? I just dip them in distilled water and wipe with a fine, microfiber cloth and it's not really making much of a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse them out a few times in tap water, both the glass and the caps. Then I rinse them out once or twice with RODI (again, both the glass and the caps). Sometimes I'll fill them up halfway, put the cap on and shake them...just seems like it does a better job. When I'm done, I fill it to the very top with RODI, to the point that it's starting to spill over, put the cap on and toss it back in the case. It seems involved, but it takes about 30 seconds, if that.

I'm lucky that I've never managed to leave anything in one for more than an extra half hour or so.

I know you're also supposed to replace them from time to time. I need to pick up some extras one of these days, if for no other reason than the lines are wearing off from wiping down the outside twice for each test.

I'm also careful not to mix the cuvettes from one kit with another. Even with as well as I wash them out, I'd still hate, for example, a little bit of reagent residue from one test to taint another test.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a pack of replacement tubes for like 20$ On there website.
On BRS's website? They have a 2 pack for $8.00 (cuvettes and caps), so $4.00/each.
Then, separately, they have a 4 pack of cuvettes for $21.00 and a 4 pack of lids for $27, so $12 each. I'm not sure what's going on with the math there. But it is what it is. Plus, those lids, unless they've fixed the problem, were the ones without the seals so they were leaking when you'd shake them.
Looks like they're the same price on the Hanna site as well and about the same on Amazon.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean them really well. I have found results just as consistent with a quick rodi rinse then fill with rodi to store.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got new cuvettes and I now store them with RO water completely full. Never water stains.

I think you can clean the water stained ones with vinegar.
Thinking of trying this one. How exactly do I clean it out with vinegar? Just dip them in household vinegar for a few seconds, rinse with tap, then with purified water?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they're [physically] the same size, will it affect the colormeter by not having the black cap?
Correct. Did you lose the old cap?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get stubborn stains on cuvettes I sosk them for a day in rodi with citric acid, rinse and wipe them out, repeat with fresh citric acid water, and then a day in rodi.

After that they are more or less spotless and I can just rinse and store them with rodi a bunch of times before I have to repeat that process

Hanna cuvettes in particular I rinse and wipe immediately after each test, fill them up with rodi, screw them shut, and store them like that

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell the caps separately. I just use the same caps I’ve always have and toss the tubes when they get scratched or defective.
The caps (on the HI site) list for $27 for a 4 pack. 6 4 packs would give you 24 working vials at a cost of $7.79 ($8.33 with shipping).
Correct. Did you lose the old cap?

I've heard (but not had happen yet) is that the caps tend to need replacing before the vials, but I could be wrong on that. Can't find what I read right now, but I think the issue was that the seal eventually stops sealing as well as it should. It gets to a point where no matter how much you tighten it, it still leaks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caps (on the HI site) list for $27 for a 4 pack. 6 4 packs would give you 24 working vials at a cost of $7.79 ($8.33 with shipping).

I've heard (but not had happen yet) is that the caps tend to need replacing before the vials, but I could be wrong on that. Can't find what I read right now, but I think the issue was that the seal eventually stops sealing as well as it should. It gets to a point where no matter how much you tighten it, it still leaks.
I have used the same caps for years AND I test very, very much. Caps have never failed to seal.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back