Best way to eradicate aiptasia in AIO sump

Nano30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very few Aiptasia in my 30 gallon AIO tank. The AIO sump area contains a refugium in one of the sump chambers which they very well could be living in. I only see a few Aiptasia each week which I am currently killing with Frank's F Aiptasia but a few keep coming back each week. My display tank is easily controlled and I rarely see any in there so my concern is my sump.

I was thinking about draining the water out of my sump, trashing the Chaeto and replacing it with new Algae Barn Chaeto, Wiping the sump down with Hydrogen Peroxide, and refilling the sump with freshly mixed salt water. Does this sound effective or overkill?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is an option but I expect a temporary fix. Since you have aiptasia in the DT they will end up in your sump area again. You could also try a peppermint shrimp in the refugium and see if it will take care of the problem.

OP
OP
N

Nano30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is an option but I expect a temporary fix. Since you have aiptasia in the DT they will end up in your sump area again. You could also try a peppermint shrimp in the refugium and see if it will take care of the problem.
I seldom have any appear in the main display, my thought is that they come from the sump area which is harder to control. I've had 2 in my main in the past month but probably 8 in the sump. If I get a Peppermint Shrimp I can get several for both my main and sump but stupid question... Will a shrimp get sucked in or clogged into my return pump?

Thanks

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seldom have any appear in the main display, my thought is that they come from the sump area which is harder to control. I've had 2 in my main in the past month but probably 8 in the sump. If I get a Peppermint Shrimp I can get several for both my main and sump but stupid question... Will a shrimp get sucked in or clogged into my return pump?

Thanks
I’d personally try the peppermints in the back chambers. Nothing to lose. I’d probably pull the macro out though for ease of movement for the shrimp. But you’d have to put a peppermint in each chamber. But your idea of drain and clean is fine. That could definitely work but if any aiptaisa survives and hides in your display, then you may see them again. They’re seriously cockroaches.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
depending upon your volume of water, I probably would not put one in the return chamber. I don't have any in my sump but do have them in my DTs and one has extremely high flow and has not been a problem. Note they generally only will tackle the small Aiptasia, once the aiptasia gets bigger than dime size the shrimp tend to leave them alone.

Back