Best way to fill a new 90 or so gallon tank?

Ethanyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a new tank, yet to receive it. But just wondering what the best way to fill up some of these larger tanks are initially? Not sure if this is the correct place to post but yeah.

Thanks!

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a brand new tank and you aren't planning to move existing livestock over I'd set up the RO/DI unit near the tank and let it fill the tank and sump. Then mix the first batch of water in the tank and let it mix for a few days. Turn all the power heads on to help with mixing. Then, when you're ready to add sand and/or rock just pull some of the water out into a brute trashcan and do your thing and refill after with the same water.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my 90 was I bought 3 cheap 32 gallon garbage cans and ran my RODI around the clock for a few days. Once they filled I filled 5 gallon buckets to fill my sump. That way I could get the ball rolling right away. I think I paid like $13 a trash can.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I just ran the siphon/water change hose from the garden hose spout and had the water go right into the tank, added salt and Prime and it all mix in there. Did not have RODI unit set up yet.

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you set the tank up on blocks (I just use pieces of 2x4's) OUTSIDE and fill it with regular tap water ... let it sit for a day and check for leaks! Even if it's a brand new tank, test it first ;-)

Then follow one of the above methods for filling with RO water ...

Back