BEST WAY TO GET LOWER NITRATES IN A NANO

jeeperreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this has probably been asked a million times and i have seen so many different answers. i was thinking about adding a refugium to my 20 gallon long. my system holds 14 gallons total and i do a 2 gallon weekly water change that includes a siphon of the 1/2" sandbed. i am going to start using a turkey baster on the rocks as well. i have 3 small fish that i feed once a day for 2 minutes and i target feed them. my red sea test kit shows nitrates at the max on the high chart. thanks for the help as always.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this has probably been asked a million times and i have seen so many different answers. i was thinking about adding a refugium to my 20 gallon long. my system holds 14 gallons total and i do a 2 gallon weekly water change that includes a siphon of the 1/2" sandbed. i am going to start using a turkey baster on the rocks as well. i have 3 small fish that i feed once a day for 2 minutes and i target feed them. my red sea test kit shows nitrates at the max on the high chart. thanks for the help as always.

How much food are you feeding?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your flow. Turkey baster and water changes. Get a HOB media reactor fill it with floss and some carbon stir up your tank and use it to filter out all of the crud.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1000 on bigger and consistent water change and feed less. I’d personally cut down to 30 second feedings since you target feed. What kind of fish do you have?

OP
OP
J

jeeperreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fiji cube in tank sump i use. thinking about adding their hang on back refugium or should i just stick to bigger water changes ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best way to remove nitrates in a nano reef is to rip clean it like we do in the sand rinse thread. no additive or other action will beat it, and its free. however much all new water costs you to make up is how much it costs to rip clean.

if you can reach in your tank and grab sand and drop it, and a cloud occurs, thats nitrate. same for rocks, if you swish one mid tank with no current on at night holding a flashlight, a literal storm will come off them. nitrate/detritus particles. A rip clean fully cleans your sandbed and rocks all at once, doesnt recycle the tank, and can be ran on any age system nanos are especially easy since they're small. The final step is all new water, and the tank is the most balanced it will be until it all piles up again.

any doser or purchase or refugium that is in place to handle nitrate, while the rocks and sand are cloudy, is being offset by that compiling waste. not having the waste means the supports aren't necessary.

in nearly all cases of nitrate management, aquarists are making big tank moves using unverified readings that wouldnt align with any other nitrate tester. the beauty of a rip clean is you cannot harm a tank with it; no way to over do one even if your starting nitrate levels are actually ok, to be clean isn't harmful to a reef tank. see the last five pages for killer nano reef post rip clean follow ups, months later.

Last edited:

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may consider how you could integrate carbon dosing into your system
I dose saturated lime water with vinegar & I think the vinegar helps with nitrate & the kalk helps with phosphate

I may be off here, but I don't run any other form of nutrient control & I've been running around 5ppm nitrate & 0.055 ppm phosphate

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back