Best way to introduce new corals when you can’t quarantine.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If quarantining new corals is not an option what measures can be taken to prevent things like ich/velvet and other hitchhikers. Is just a coral dip good enough? Can anything else help?
im new, about a year in, all my fish have just been crushed by velvet. Quarantining isn’t an option for me for corals.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to do a very good visual inspection right when I get home. Then I cut from the plug/rock (if possible) followed by a dip. The dip of choice depends on the type of coral. Once done dipping I do a few good rinses and reattach to a new plug and then placed into a tank. If at any point I see a horrible pest I will most likely toss or cut a small frag of the frag.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to do a very good visual inspection right when I get home. Then I cut from the plug/rock (if possible) followed by a dip. The dip of choice depends on the type of coral. Once done dipping I do a few good rinses and reattach to a new plug and then placed into a tank. If at any point I see a horrible pest I will most likely toss or cut a small frag of the frag.
thats enough to prevent ich/velvet on frags gettining into your tank?
what dips do you recommend?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I inspect the corals and dip them before putting in the tank. CoralRX Pro or Bayer works great for dipping corals.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I doubt it'll prevent ich/velvet if it were on there but I assume it greatly reduces the chances. As for dips I have used Bayer, dr.g's sps/lps dip (quite lengthy as it takes 6 hrs per the directons), lugols iodide, and just recently started trying expell.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it'll prevent ich/velvet if it were on there but I assume it greatly reduces the chances. As for dips I have used Bayer, dr.g's sps/lps dip (quite lengthy as it takes 6 hrs per the directons), lugols iodide, and just recently started trying expell.
You use all of those on each coral or just one?

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just one, depending on time, type of coral, and what I see on the coral or what I saw in the tank I purchased from.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've learned/read, ich can transfer from frag plugs/CUC. The possibility is minimal compared to getting a new fish obvsiouly, but the risk is still there. At the end of the day, alot of reefers dont QT corals. Just get your corals from a healthy reputable source (of course inspect fish if ich is your main concern).

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back