BEST WAY TO INTRODUCE TANGS INTO A TANK?

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from the UK

I have a a 78" (L) x 24" (H) x 30" (W) TANK that has been running since the end of May.

I currently have 2 tangs, a regal tang and a yellow tang.
The regal tang was transferred across from the old tank (and I must have had her for 2 years approximately), whilst the yellow has only been in for a couple of weeks.

I am looking at adding a purple tang, chevron tang and a white tail bristletooth tang this year.
I am looking at getting a reefing art acclimation box (from their UK distributor), as it is the only one I can find to go onto 19mm glass.

Other than the acclimation box and dimming the lights, are there any other tips for introduction.
And is my tank big enough for 5 tangs?

I lost a yellow tang and chevron tang approximately 4-5 months ago due to a disease outbreak, so the regal is used to their presence.
I suspect this was why the regal has had no aggression at all to the "replacement" yellow tang that I added in a few weeks ago

Thanks in advance

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tank is big enough for the group. Although it may be difficult, it would probably be best to add the new ones at the same time.

Tangs can really have trouble with disease. Did you do anything to deal with the previous disease outbreak?

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately as much as I would like to have a QT tank, I do not have the space or approval from the other half lol.

I have since only bought all of my livestock from one LFS which I used from day 1 in the hobby, and I regret not using them for the coral beauty :/.

I am looking at putting an 80WUV light onto the tank this year as well.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using an innovative marine gourmet grazer and was considering getting a secondary one to try and reduce feeding agression.
Would this be a feasible idea for multiple tangs?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two stations for nori is a good idea. In general, lots of food will help with tang aggression.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using an innovative marine gourmet grazer and was considering getting a secondary one to try and reduce feeding agression.
Would this be a feasible idea for multiple tangs?
Hi! I think gourmet grazers are great! I have been using them a few years. I have a Dejardini and purple tang, as well as a juvi Emperor Angel who love it. I have two grazers in the tank....I feed 4 sheets of seaweed a day.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definately consider a second grazer, thanks for the advice.

I am using the Two Little Fishies Green Seaveggies.
Here in the UK you can only get the small 12g or the slightly larger 30g packs. The 100 sheet bulk pack is so much better value but the UK distributor does not stock it :/ .
So ordered it from the US on ebay and it works out at like 8-10 times cheaper, yes they are larger sheets but I just cut them up.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can probably best to remove the tangs for a bit and rearrange your rocks around then introduce them all at once. That way they don’t become territorial and fight. A lot of times that can cause a ich outbreak too. That’s what happen to my tank

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them 2 sheets of nori 3-5 times a week.
I also feed 3 cubes of PE mysis a couple of times a week.

And they get fed daily a mixture of
Nyos Goji Berry Pellets
Nyos True Algae Pellets
Mysis RS pellets (1mm small)

I have an eheim twin autofeeder that is due to arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed), so they will get multiple smaller feeds rather than 1 big one when I come home from work

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, putting a mirror in the corner of the tank worked. It kept my existing tang busy "fighting" itself while the new one was able to settle in. A few hours later, I removed the mirror and there is no aggression between the two (Kole and Yellow)

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do.
Hoping to have my purple tang within the next 1-2 weeks.

I am using my LFS who I have used since day 1 in the hobby (and who I have built up an amazing relationship with, so much so that he is coming to my Wedding next year :) ).

He normally gets the fish shipped in to him from his UK supplier (one of the main fish wholesalers), but he is making a special trip to evaluate the purple tang to make sure it is healthy for me.
And will also do that for my special order tangs in the future.

Nice guy and has helped me so many times over the years, like when a heater packed up on christmas eve the other year he opened up just for me.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are generally less aggressive when the lights are out. In addition to the advice above, leaving the tank lights off for several days will give your new additions time to adjust without being constantly chased and bullied.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do.
Hoping to have my purple tang within the next 1-2 weeks.

I am using my LFS who I have used since day 1 in the hobby (and who I have built up an amazing relationship with, so much so that he is coming to my Wedding next year :) ).

He normally gets the fish shipped in to him from his UK supplier (one of the main fish wholesalers), but he is making a special trip to evaluate the purple tang to make sure it is healthy for me.
And will also do that for my special order tangs in the future.

Nice guy and has helped me so many times over the years, like when a heater packed up on christmas eve the other year he opened up just for me.
Awesome! That is way cool to form great relationships with our LFS. I have two of them like that. Ones that go above and beyond for you! Can't beat it!

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That is way cool to form great relationships with our LFS. I have two of them like that. Ones that go above and beyond for you! Can't beat it!

Definitely.

I try and use him for as much stuff as possible, even if he has to order it in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back