Best way to kill pest Zoa/Paly?

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy an angelfish that will eat zoa... I had a red Sea Yellow Belly Regal angelfish and he had zoa and paly for buffet everyday.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown crabs eat zoas. Don't know what else they eat though. I figure anything that eats these would end up having toxins in the water though.(messy eaters)

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy an angelfish that will eat zoa... I had a red Sea Yellow Belly Regal angelfish and he had zoa and paly for buffet everyday.
My tank is almost 100% zoa. If I caught a fish eating zoa a sump banishment would be about the best it could hope for.

I've got a potters that's worth it's weight in gold. Constantly eats micro algae and accepts pellets aaaaand doesn't touch zoa.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately do t have any of those laying around in my fish junk closet
;Smuggrin

^this is correct. Cannot remove the rock as it's structural and epoxied.
Most of the zoas are ok for you. Many people frag them without any protection though thats not very good for you.
I think @Timfish has a cool contraption for this purpose.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 100% zoa. If I caught a fish eating zoa a sump banishment would be about the best it could hope for.

I've got a potters that's worth it's weight in gold. Constantly eats micro algae and accepts pellets aaaaand doesn't touch zoa.
Give that fish back to your LFS

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, don’t kill them at all. Frag and sell them to your LFS or on here. Lots of new reefers are looking for cheap coral that they can “test the waters” with.

Same thing goes with GSP. So many people think it’s so terrible, wine in reality, they could just cut a few pieces and sell them to their LFS.

Again, beginners are looking for cheap and hardy frags, and palys and GSP are usually the first thing that are recommended.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried everything to get of the pest palys in my tank. I just do my best to remove as much as i can every few weeks now. Next on my list is a majano wand to see if that's worth anything

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, don’t kill them at all. Frag and sell them to your LFS or on here. Lots of new reefers are looking for cheap coral that they can “test the waters” with.

Same thing goes with GSP. So many people think it’s so terrible, wine in reality, they could just cut a few pieces and sell them to their LFS.

Again, beginners are looking for cheap and hardy frags, and palys and GSP are usually the first thing that are recommended.

It's 99% impossible to frag them off the rocks without doing incredible amounts of damage to my rock structure and neighboring corals. Otherwise I definitely would.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 99% impossible to frag them off the rocks without doing incredible amounts of damage to my rock structure and neighboring corals. Otherwise I definitely would.

This thread explains it.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thread explains it.
It's not that I don't know how to frag them in a literal since I frag tons of zoas every year it's pretty much all I've been keeping recently due to restrictions. The problem is, is that the LR that they are on is columns and arches that are expoxyed together in caves and arches and columns. So strong enough to stay together underwater but upward force would demolish the aquascaping. They're not mat type so they can't be pealed off. The rock is manufactured Caribsea life rock so it would crumble if I tried to chisel it under water. And lastly, more or less, I don't have space to manuver my arms in the tank

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get invasive palys or zoas they are hard to eradicate. It becomes more of management. The only way I have found to get them out is manually remove them.

I have hundreds of Palys. They are encrusted onto the rock. I have several different long tweezers and forceps to grab and pull them out. You can use a kalk slurry or feed them just a bit to help close them up a bit. Makes seeing the base where to grab easier. Then grab, wiggle and pull like a weed in a garden.

There usually isn’t a toxin issue, but before you start you can up the flow in the tank and drop a bag of carbon right in the tank. Also, keep the palys in water. I put the pulled pieces into a fish net I submerged. Then I empty that into a baggie while under water. Try to not expose to air.

This is after trimmed
18F22847-DC7E-4907-8AF7-0A696963824C.jpeg

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just don’t die. I pulled a rock out to kill off the palys and drill frag plug holes for zoas. Rock was soaked in h2o2, left in the workshop for hours, drilled. Stuff that would be terrifying if there was a single wanted coral. Two weeks after it was back in the water, the grey palys are growing faster than before. Didn’t want to bleach it and kill bacteria. Should have baked the thing in my oven. Someone needs to genetically modify all of the things I can’t keep alive with a touch of ugly paly genes. They would make a fortune.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just don’t die. I pulled a rock out to kill off the palys and drill frag plug holes for zoas. Rock was soaked in h2o2, left in the workshop for hours, drilled. Stuff that would be terrifying if there was a single wanted coral. Two weeks after it was back in the water, the grey palys are growing faster than before. Didn’t want to bleach it and kill bacteria. Should have baked the thing in my oven. Someone needs to genetically modify all of the things I can’t keep alive with a touch of ugly paly genes. They would make a fortune.
Please don't try heating zoa/paly

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DO NOT put palys in your oven. You'll evaporate the palytoxin and get poisoned.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, good. Hard to tell if people are being serious in text, which makes "I should have put these toxic corals in the oven" a really worrying statement.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back