Best way to label acro frags at a show? Tips for sellers?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering what everyone's experiences are at frag shows, what's the best way to label individual acropora fragments at frag shows? The common ways I see that I dont like are the following...

- Plugs labeled and set next to the frag
- Sections made out of plastic neon rod
- Some people make charts or take pictures and label them

I was hoping to label each frag with a tag from a label maker or a sharpie or something. Will sharpies leak into the water? I see some people use them. I only have a few named pieces and the rest are all wild or maricultured grown out that I am cutting from to spread some new stuff into the area. Its a lot of small cheap colorful cuts so I was hoping someone would have some good suggestions so I can make it easier to sell all these frags, and easier for the people wanting to buy. I will probably keep the few named frags on a separate rack, this is where tags would be helpful but I could use the frag plug with writing on it set next to the piece for this.

Also if you have any tips or things you dont like about how people setup or sell at shows, please share. Hopefully this thread can help others as well as just me.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the charts of the tank layout personally and I like when the tanks are segmented into price ranges. I hate looking at a $5 frag and then ask about the one next to it to find out it is $50. If I have to guess and ask for the price of every coral I'm unlikely to buy anything. I'll just walk over to the next table that's more buyer friendly.

If you only have a few that you want to display with names you could write their names on little pieces of plastic with a sharpie and glue it to the plug like a flag. I've seen that done.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like when the frag tank is sectioned off in $10, $20, $30, etc. sections. Usually those vendors have a section with higher end frags that says "ask about price." I do not like the printed price sheets unless they are combined with some type of labeling in the frag tank.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the charts of the tank layout personally and I like when the tanks are segmented into price ranges. I hate looking at a $5 frag and then ask about the one next to it to find out it is $50. If I have to guess and ask for the price of every coral I'm unlikely to buy anything. I'll just walk over to the next table that's more buyer friendly.

If you only have a few that you want to display with names you could write their names on little pieces of plastic with a sharpie and glue it to the plug like a flag. I've seen that done.

Yea so that's a good idea. I was going to keep all the same corals clustered together but maybe sections with price will be best and less cluttered. I can always point out the other frags of the coral when someone asks about a certain piece.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like when the frag tank is sectioned off in $10, $20, $30, etc. sections. Usually those vendors have a section with higher end frags that says "ask about price." I do not like the printed price sheets unless they are combined with some type of labeling in the frag tank.

I agree the printed sheets doesnt work for me. Also I think the idea of plastic pieces for labels in this higher price section will work well.

I was going to make a book with pictures of the colonies but I started cutting before I thought about it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sections are best... and then a section with "ask" or "various" for the expensive ones that fluctuate. Some use a frag disc with black marker to put $20, $30, etc on the sections.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back