Best Way To Measure Salinity? Hanna Marine Salinity Tester or Refractometer?

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm just setting up a first Saltwater Aquarium and wondering the best way to test salinity? I have one of those plastic hydrometers but heard they aren't so accurate or reliable?

From what I can gather both those electric/digital testers (conducting testers?) and refractometers need monthly or so calibration (using a 35 ppt solution)?

So in that case, would something like the Hanna Marine Salinity Tester be the best option for the price (was hoping to get a reliable, accurate tester for no more than $100 CAD if possible, I know there's a lot of expensive refractometers some people like).

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm just setting up a first Saltwater Aquarium and wondering the best way to test salinity? I have one of those plastic hydrometers but heard they aren't so accurate or reliable?

From what I can gather both those electric/digital testers (conducting testers?) and refractometers need monthly or so calibration (using a 35 ppt solution)?

So in that case, would something like the Hanna Marine Salinity Tester be the best option for the price (was hoping to get a reliable, accurate tester for no more than $100 CAD if possible, I know there's a lot of expensive refractometers some people like).

Refractometer from Amazon are great . I’ve used one for years . I calibrate it with rodi water to confirm my Hanna checker

I doubt you will be able to find a Hanna salinity checker for less than $100 ?
I can’t honestly remember what I paid for mine .

you’re in Canada . Check @fragbox out .
they have great prices and amazing shipping .

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Professional oceanographers and aquarium keepers use salinity probes like the Hanna.

But, they are trickier to use than you think at first sight, and need to be calibrated before each measurement.

Not a big deal because you make your own calibration fluid very simply, but something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $20 Refractometer from Amazon, and it works just fine. I don't feel like this is one of the things you need to spend a ton on.
Oh yeah? Any calibration issues at all? That's interesting to know! Which one if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin hydrometer with a 500ml measuring cylinder is the best way, a little clumsy to,use so you can buy a refractometer or the Hanna and use the tropic Marin as a reference to calibrate the refractometer and know it’s reading the correct lvl.
The Tropic Marin is one of those plastic hydrometers with the needle right? What would be the difference between that one and the one I have?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna although what’s the diy calibration fluid recipe ? Seems it could save me a lot of money in the long run

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer from Amazon are great . I’ve used one for years . I calibrate it with rodi water to confirm my Hanna checker

I doubt you will be able to find a Hanna salinity checker for less than $100 ?
I can’t honestly remember what I paid for mine .

you’re in Canada . Check @fragbox out .
they have great prices and amazing shipping .
The Hanna Marine Salinity Tester HI98319 is $100 on the dot in Canada, which is why I was curious about it. So you use one of those Hanna Testers AND also an Amazon Refractometer? My Wallet already hurts so much from realizing how much we (Wife and I) spent to get setup but I don't want to cheap out either if it comes to something that can harm our fish if we get it wrong (salinity in this case).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropic Marin is one of those plastic hydrometers with the needle right? What would be the difference between that one and the one I have?
No, it’s a glass cylinder that bobs up and down in the water.

F32FF35C-7ED3-48E3-BD00-BB6ACC25FF45.png

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Professional oceanographers and aquarium keepers use salinity probes like the Hanna.

But, they are trickier to use than you think at first sight, and need to be calibrated before each measurement.

Not a big deal because you make your own calibration fluid very simply, but something to keep in mind.
Does that include the one I mentioned (Hanna Marine Salinity Tester HI98319)?

And before EACH use? Not once a month? I'm not aware how to make my own solution unfortunately.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna although what’s the diy calibration fluid recipe ? Seems it could save me a lot of money in the long run
This one: Hanna Marine Salinity Tester HI98319 is the one you use?

And yeah the solution is like $2 per packet, comes with 4 when you buy the meter it seems.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that include the one I mentioned (Hanna Marine Salinity Tester HI98319)?

And before EACH use? Not once a month? I'm not aware how to make my own solution unfortunately.

It's better to calibrate frequently.

I posted the link above for the DIY calibration fluid

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Marine Salinity Tester HI98319 is $100 on the dot in Canada, which is why I was curious about it. So you use one of those Hanna Testers AND also an Amazon Refractometer? My Wallet already hurts so much from realizing how much we (Wife and I) spent to get setup but I don't want to cheap out either if it comes to something that can harm our fish if we get it wrong (salinity in this case).
Salinity is a little more forgiving for fish only .
Most lfs maintain lower salinity ( 1.021) but we generally keep our systems at 1.026

my wallet used to cry real tears .
but they were tests of joy .
I remember when I first started this hobby and interested in keeping sps I was told I would be ready for sps when I could light a $100 on fire and not cry .
If It was only one $100 bill over the years it wouldn’t be so bad .

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHH right, I seen those! So it's good to have that AND either a refractometer or a tester like I mentioned from Hanna?
Definitely the best way, the tropic Marin never needs calibration, so you check your water, when it’s 1.0264 (yes it’s that precise) you can then use that water to check your other refractometer or whatever you choose to use on a daily basis.

Store some of that water in a glass bottle with an air tight lid and you have a ready made supply of reference fluid.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better to calibrate frequently.

I posted the link above for the DIY calibration fluid
I read the link, but if I'm honest, it sounds a bit complex to measure what sounds to be 2 different salt? Then mix in a 2 Liter bottle then finish in a separate container?

And does it really need to be that often? The Manufacturer said once a month, and I'd assume more frequent would be helpful to be sure you're always on point, but is it truly necessary? Will you really go out of calibration that much that frequently?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a little more forgiving for fish only .
Most lfs maintain lower salinity ( 1.021) but we generally keep our systems at 1.026

my wallet used to cry real tears .
but they were tests of joy .
I remember when I first started this hobby and interested in keeping sps I was told I would be ready for sps when I could light a $100 on fire and not cry .
If It was only one $100 bill over the years it wouldn’t be so bad .
Right now my freshly setup tank (no fish yet, just starting to cycle) is at around 33ppt salinity. So Fish Only you have more room for error? But Coral is less forgiving and harder to maintain? (Not gonna lie, starting to wonder if I got myself in over my head jumping into a Saltwater setup haha).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back