Best way to mix IO salt???

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time making salt water in over 15 years. Prepping for next weekends 92 corner move.

Currently I have 3x32 gallon Brutes filling with RODI water. They should fill to ~30 gallons. What’s the best way to mix in the salt?

Should I heat up to 78 and then mix?

Mix cold/room temp and heat up ~48 hours before move?

Some other way?

I have the 160 gallon bucket and it suggest 1.5 lbs per 5 gallon for 1.022 mix. So I’m guessing start with 8.5 lbs per bucket and adjust up from there?

Thanks for any advice!

image.jpg image.jpg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have mixed it cold or warm and added to the tank within 30 minutes for a very long time now. Used to use only IO salt. I would suggest getting a refractometer, they are not very expensive at all on amazon. This will give you the perfect sg without having to worry as much about the instructions on the salt.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll find the salt dissolves faster and more thoroughly in heated water. Since you plan to heat it regardless, I’d heat it up, add salt and then keep the temp maintained at your desired temp.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have mixed it cold or warm and added to the tank within 30 minutes for a very long time now. Used to use only IO salt. I would suggest getting a refractometer, they are not very expensive at all on amazon. This will give you the perfect sg without having to worry as much about the instructions on the salt.
Thanks. I do have a refratometer and just received my BRS order with the Hannah salinity checker. :)

I’m just using the directions as a rough starting point so I hopefully don’t overshoot my goal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back