Best way to place/mount coral in deep tanks?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. How are folks placing and mounting their coral in tanks that are 30" or deeper? I can't reach the sandbed/lower tank without getting my entire arm, shoulder, and armpit in the tank.

Are you removing the rock (if small enough), gluing the frag, then placing it back in? Are you using a tool like forceps to try to place the coral?

What other tips are there?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 30" deep. I try to make it so I can remove the lower rocks to attach the frag onto it. I also have a grabber (Pikstick) to pick them up and is also useful to do some rearranging of things. I have had a couple of frags get knocked off to never be seen again and have had to use flexible tubing to push things out from under rocks in order to get them with the grabber. Every now and again I end up with my whole arm and then some in the tank but try and avoid it. When I do my aquascaping I try and design it so I can pick things up that are low. I works pretty good until the corals start encrusting multiple pieces together:)

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tool helps, step ladders help. Knowing par helps this way you know whether or not you may have to reposition it. Even on my small tank I have a nice tool that prevents me from getting my hands wet. It’s just better that way!

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side note:
not familiar with your lighting. strong enough for coral placement that low?
Yup I didn’t do a par reading but it’s an AIO so I have a clue where the par is at in my tank. Since somebody’s done it. When you deep on corals with a tank that’s been put together you almost always want to know what that light is doing for that area before placing them.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My further issue given the deep tank is.. if a frag is not happy once again I will be lifting all the lights,, putting my arm pits in the water and moving the frag.. I am thinking of trying to first mold some frag plug forms to hold the frag plug out of two part. attach that to the rock all over ( so a bunch of them first.) then as a second stop once I see the frag is happy then glue the frag into the two part mix .. I am thinking depending on the timing the two part might be firm enough and yet still workable to then use tongs to attach to the live rock deeper in the tank ?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. How are folks placing and mounting their coral in tanks that are 30" or deeper? I can't reach the sandbed/lower tank without getting my entire arm, shoulder, and armpit in the tank.

Are you removing the rock (if small enough), gluing the frag, then placing it back in? Are you using a tool like forceps to try to place the coral?

What other tips are there?
My 3rd tank I decided to mount all SPS on the tops of the LR and keep the LPS on LR on the sandbed.
This way I can move/frag the LPS as they grow. So I glue LPS on a decent-sized rock, and can move around the sandbed as flow requirement/room for growth adjustments are needed.
This also allows me to keep the LPS away from the SPS as each need their room to grow, and grow at different rates/sting/fight with each other.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so cut the rod of the back of the plug.. put some two part putty around the disk that is left.. some glue under the putty between the rock and the disc.. or the other way.. putty the Rock - putty - glue - disk ---or rock - glue - putty - disk..?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so cut the rod of the back of the plug.. put some two part putty around the disk that is left.. some glue under the putty between the rock and the disc.. or the other way.. putty the Rock - putty - glue - disk ---or rock - glue - putty - disk..?

Go, disk - glue - putty - glue - rock

Been using Seachem Reef glue with no complaints, but got a 16oz bottle of Glue Matsers thick 1500 CPS Viscosity glue coming in tomorrow.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you like... do the putty first to mold it to the rock crevices.. then take the putty that is now formed to the crevice and the disk.. glue the disk-plug to the putty,,, let it harder a bit.. then put some glue on the bottom of the putty.... and attach..-hold till it takes to the rock....

my rock has some algae growing on it.. will brush before doing this ..not to state the obvious...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back