Best Way to Protect Drywall from Saltwater?

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. Quick question:

I'm trying to figure out the best material to use to protect my drywall around the tank. It's a large (10x4x3) against-the-wall installation and I want to make sure that all the splashes and humidity don't damage the wall behind it long-term. I live in humid Florida so any drywall degradation = mold and bug infestations/$$$ repairs.

I was thinking of using a panel of waterproof material like fiberglass or expanded PVC like you would in a shower. Any thoughts?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. Quick question:

I'm trying to figure out the best material to use to protect my drywall around the tank. It's a large (10x4x3) against-the-wall installation and I want to make sure that all the splashes and humidity don't damage the wall behind it long-term. I live in humid Florida so any drywall degradation = mold and bug infestations/$$$ repairs.

I was thinking of using a panel of waterproof material like fiberglass or expanded PVC like you would in a shower. Any thoughts?
If you didn't have the tank in location Yet, You could consider using a paint on shower membrane over your drywall, under your paint.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't have the tank in location Yet, You could consider using a paint on shower membrane over your drywall, under your paint.

The tank is not in yet, but it's a pre-existing wall that is already painted. So would I need to strip the existing, apply membrane, and then re-apply paint?

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is not in yet, but it's a pre-existing wall that is already painted. So would I need to strip the existing, apply membrane, and then re-apply paint?
I believe both flexcoat and aqua defense brand membranes can both be rolled on over latex paint. You should confirm with the product first though.

I used flex coat to seal an indoor garden room that runs high humidity and never have had any issues with water getting into the drywall.

Upvote 0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about applying peel and stick backsplash material with a cool design on the wall ?
A tiled accent wall behind the tank would be a great option.

but as a professional tile guy - I have to say - just say no to peel and stick stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a piece of frp - it’s the thin white sheets you glue to walls in kitchens and wet areas. It Has a smooth pebbly texture. Easy to clean.

That is the direction I was leaning but wasn't sure. So would I be able to glue the panels to existing paint or would I have to pre-treat it in some way?

Also, I'm assuming that I could caulk around the edges to seal them so no moisture can seep in behind the panels.

Upvote 0

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall only has 1 thing going for it - it is cheap and easy to replace. It soaks up water like a sponge and rots quickly, especially if it is condensation and not salt water.

If you are there short time, just plan on replacing it after the tank moves. If you are there long term, replace it with sheet rock or wonderboard or similar ahead of time.

Upvote 0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the direction I was leaning but wasn't sure. So would I be able to glue the panels to existing paint or would I have to pre-treat it in some way?

Also, I'm assuming that I could caulk around the edges to seal them so no moisture can seep in behind the panels.
You can glue it to paint. The back of the frp panels are glued on to the wall, nothing is seeping behind, but you can use painters caulk to fill the small gap at the paint and the finished edge trim pieces.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back