Best way to run Chaeto in my sump

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a "fuge" section in my sump and I really need to start using Chaeto to control my phosphates and nitrates.

What's a good DIY method of running Chaeto in a tradition sump (mid section where the skimmer resides)? Does it need to tumble? And what light have you found best to use?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much in advance...............

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a gen 1 reefer sump divided with a piece of acrylic. I put the skimmer before the Chaeto due to the strands
getting into the pump. I don't tumble mine but do rotate once a week. I use a PAR 38 10watt grow bulb.
I think the stronger the light, the more effective it is at export.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c523f6ae1aa31c1e8feb41d2c1e3f9a4.jpg
i use this thing with a par 38 bulb from Ebay grows algae like a champ. I haven’t done a water change in 2 months with low phosphates and low nitrate

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your sump configuration. I decided to use an old eshopps rs300 on my new build. What I did was find the biggest tank I could to fit in my available space place it right before my mechanical filter portion on a riser. The refugium is fed off the piping and then is plumbed with big bulkheads that overflow back into the sump

Lighting I like the 150w UFO's for the price, but brs has done a great job promoting the kessil fuge light...I don't know if I'm willing to drop the dough on it.

If it's not dedicated area I wouldnt toss chaeto in right beside my skimmer. You're trying to promote algae growth with a powerful light. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't end well with the nastiness the skimmer is handling.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking of getting some sort of "basket" laundry style, but much smaller, to hold the Chaeto in place. And then simply hanging a fuge light over the sump.

Just trying to see what others have done in their skimmer (center) chamber of their sump to be creative, etc.

As another option, I have a nice tall Vertex reactor that I may convert to a reactor style Chaeto reactor, but I am a bit nervous with that type of DIY application.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking of getting some sort of "basket" laundry style, but much smaller, to hold the Chaeto in place. And then simply hanging a fuge light over the sump.

Just trying to see what others have done in their skimmer (center) chamber of their sump to be creative, etc.

As another option, I have a nice tall Vertex reactor that I may convert to a reactor style Chaeto reactor, but I am a bit nervous with that type of DIY application.

That's originally what I was going to do. People warned me about putting that amount of light over my skimmer though so I didn't try it. Check out hydroponic baskets if you decide to go that route.

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used egg crate and built a "box:" to hold it. I have a kessel H80 about 2 inches above the water over it.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used egg crate and built a "box:" to hold it. I have a kessel H80 about 2 inches above the water over it.

That's exactly what I think I'm going to do. Eggcrate box. And purchase the AI Prime Fuge light. Hopefully that will do the trick?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread.....

My chaeto always wants to seem to FLOAT and it's hard keeping it submerged. IDEAS of keeping it from floating and clogging up my powerheads in the sump?

I do know this.... DO NOT throw away your old overgrown chaeto bc chaeto can die off rather quickly sometimes. I keep my old chateo in a bunch of gallonsized ziplock bags. It amazing how long it keeps. Even if it dries out, getting it wet again will start to grow it again. It's amazing hard to kill this stuff.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little “box” made out of egg crate. I have a refugium section. I use the egg crate to keep the chaeto from going through the dividers.

Edo Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I think I'm going to do. Eggcrate box. And purchase the AI Prime Fuge light. Hopefully that will do the trick?
I use the AI five light and it’s awesome! I use it at an angle both for my refugium and algae scrubber - see pic

521F1507-1DAE-4FC5-BFD7-F51AE848753B.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back