Best way to seal wood against saltwater

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all. I am building a new stand and I am trying to find the best method to seal the wood so it lasts for decades. We all know sooner or later a stand will get some water on it. Any advice would be apprenticed including the best type of wood to use. Thanks in advance!

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best would be oiled Teak, not coated with a varnish or clear coat.
Teak has the most oil naturally impregnated in it, thats why it would be the best for a stand. That is if longevity is your goal. The wood would need to be later maintained by oiling again, prabably 1 to 2 years, depending on the wear. But it is costly because it is the best wood for this. Not stands, but boats. Mainly the decks on more expensive boats.
If your not looking into oiling your stand as an added maintenance. Or just dont like teak and/or the price it costs, I would strongly suggest an epoxy finish over any other kind of wood.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think several coats of epoxy paint would be best . Teak would be real nice but more than a little Pricey ! cover all the screws/nails whatever You use to hold it all together. Then paint . This should last Ya a good long time !

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had expensive taste wanting walnut and quilted maple.
You go right for the jugular.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had expensive taste wanting walnut and quilted maple.
You go right for the jugular.
Lol. Well, unless someone says they are on a budget I assume no budget and that they want something quality and timeless.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think several coats of epoxy paint would be best . Teak would be real nice but more than a little Pricey ! cover all the screws/nails whatever You use to hold it all together. Then paint . This should last Ya a good long time !
Perfect.
If your looking to keep the natural wood or stain look, top it off with clear epoxy. Mix it thin and pour it on. Buy in the gal. These guys usually have it at a right viscosity and pretty reasonable. Like under 100 buck per gal total with catalyst:
http://www.polymercompositesinc.com/
The guy also makes his own epoxy, only guy I've ever found who does. So he can really be helpful on Any questions you'd have. If its about epoxy... He knows it.

OP
OP
S

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the helpful insights. I should have mentioned this is a budget project, sadly I cant seem to win the lotto haha! But I am not against spending money where it counts as long as its reasonable. What would be the best kind of epoxy to use?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2x4's plywood and a slab of a big cut down tree for the top for the tank to sit on.
I didn't do anything inside for sealing the wood..
I get crazy and will change my stand before it has time to rot. I am always looking to timber and build.. drives my wife nuts :)

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can use flex seal to fix your roof outside...I don't think it will have any trouble standing up to sump moisture

Product Features

• Forms a durable, breathable, weatherproof, non-slip barrier
  • Resistant to rain, snow, sun, wind, hail, air, moisture, UV degradation, extreme temperatures and natural weathering
  • Blocks out air, water, and moisture
  • Prevents rust and corrosion
  • Mildew and chemical resistant
  • Non-hazardous*
  • Non-flammable*
  • Safe around plants and animals*

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been a professional boat builder since 1982. White oak not red. do not seal with epoxy you'll trap moisture in. best case most wood runs 8%ish moisure content. Most important is to design to ventilate and not trap water or moisure. A good oil based deck stain may be about as good as it gets for sealing. Not sure about fumes though.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the helpful insights. I should have mentioned this is a budget project, sadly I cant seem to win the lotto haha! But I am not against spending money where it counts as long as its reasonable. What would be the best kind of epoxy to use?

Up above, I left a link to "polymer composites".
Or you could go to a local "West Marine" and buy some "West Systems" epoxy. Thats really good epoxy also. It's just that the West Systems cost about double of what Polymer Composites cost. Both are Awsome.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got nothing to add that's not already been said, except for what I pictured reading the thread title.. :D
32571057-sea-lions-on-pier-in-san-francisco-usa-.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back