Best way to secure loose Xenia frags

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ~10 frags of pulsing Xenia that were previously attached to a rock. I removed them from the rock in order to clean the rock and place it in another system. The frags were easy to remove- the rock had a lot of algae growing on it, and the Xenia was attached mostly to the algae, not to the rock itself. I attempted to use superglue gel the attach the frags to a rock in their new system, but most did not adhere. What advice can you give me to ensure they don’t float away, get carried off by my urchin, or get knocked over by snails? Will the same securing strategy apply to zooanthids?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef putty with super glue fills in crevices, etc. I put the glue on the frag, push on putty, put more glue on bottom of putty and press into rock - never had a frag come off with this method.

Edit: for some reason I was thinking your Xenia was already mounted on a frag plug. Agree with letting them attach to rubble and I also put them in a small cup or secure with a rubber band. Then again, I always end up with some "volunteer" polyps exactly where I don't want them, lol.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can be glued. Xenia not so much so. I use Tupperware containers with a lid if in higher flow or no lid in lower flow. Make some holes in it for water flow if it has a lid and put in some rock rubble or some media for my calcium reactor. The Xenia will attach to the media in a few days, and then you can glue to media to a plug.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used rubber bands for soft coral and leathers. Works well. Just tight enough so they can’t float away. In a week or 2 later, once attached, you can remove the rubber bands.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can be glued. Xenia not so much so. I use Tupperware containers with a lid if in higher flow or no lid in lower flow. Make some holes in it for water flow if it has a lid and put in some rock rubble or some media for my calcium reactor. The Xenia will attach to the media in a few days, and then you can glue to media to a plug.
This is the same method I use, works for mushrooms as well. I have a small glass betta fish bowl I use instead of Tupperware, and the weight helps it stay in place in the tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back