Best way to set up biocube 32 filtration?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have it setup as this. In chamber one, heater, in chamber 2, Intank filter rack with filter floss, purigen, and carbon (in that order top to bottom) and the intank refugium next to it (don’t have algae for it yet) and nothing in the third chamber. Should I add some sort of biological filtration in the third chamber? Or anything else? And if I should add bio media, what kind is best?

904Floridaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have protein skimmer and heater chamber one. Same as you in chamber 2 but with chaeto and the intake refugium lighting mounted on back of chamber 2 for the chaeto. Empty chamber 3. I want to do the auto top off there. I ordered mesh lid with different lights so I get alot of evaporation. Do you have dry or live rock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty standard. You can, yes. I use MarinePure gems in a media bag, but they're prone to crumbling so you might want some media that's a lot more durable.
What chamber is your media in? Also what sort of media would you recomend?

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have protein skimmer and heater chamber one. Same as you in chamber 2 but with chaeto and the intake refugium lighting mounted on back of chamber 2 for the chaeto. Empty chamber 3. I want to do the auto top off there. I ordered mesh lid with different lights so I get alot of evaporation. Do you have dry or live rock?
Can I ask what type of skimmer? also I have live rock in the tank.

904Floridaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife v2. Horrible. Microbubbles. If no bubbles it would be really nice. Look it up on YouTube guy shows the micro bubble problem in a review.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my filtration up based on the YouTube video “Coralife Biocube Basics Filter Modifications.” 1st chamber heater and skimmer. Second chamber filter sponge (as seen in video) carbon, biomedia and a couple of pieces of reef rock rubble. Nothing in the 3rd chamber. I don’t have issues with micro bubbles maybe due to the sponge filter.

Hamming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also consider adding Bio-balls as your 3rd chamber media since they wouldn't have a crumbling issue (especially when the media is right on your return pump. I'd be worried something would get out of the media bag and mess up the pump)

By the way, would anyone mind measuring how wide the sump is on your cube? I'm guessing about 3 1/2" but the only measurements I can find online are of the whole unit. That'd be much appreciated!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back