Best way to stop/slow/kill growth of encrusting monti

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited real estate and I have an encrusting rainbow monti that is encroaching on the last bit of available real estate. I want to put an acro there, but I'm sure by the time I get the acro frag and have it glued down, the monti will be taking over that space. My question is, what's the best way to stop the monti without killing it? I just want eliminate some of it's outer edge growth. Do I hack/scrape it off? Is there a chemical or natural solution I can put on it to kill the outer edges? Any other tips or tricks?

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dental pick/scalpel works wonders in scraping them off but honestly replacing the whole rock and chalking it up to learning a lesson about encrusting monti placement might be the easier answer.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dental pick/scalpel works wonders in scraping them off but honestly replacing the whole rock and chalking it up to learning a lesson about encrusting monti placement might be the easier answer.

It's a really small tank, and that piece of rock is actually perfect for the scape, so I don't want to just remove it. I'll have to give the scalpel thing a try.

When the acro itself encrusts and grows its base, will it keep the monti at bay? Or is the monti's sting more powerful?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited real estate and I have an encrusting rainbow monti that is encroaching on the last bit of available real estate. I want to put an acro there, but I'm sure by the time I get the acro frag and have it glued down, the monti will be taking over that space. My question is, what's the best way to stop the monti without killing it? I just want eliminate some of it's outer edge growth. Do I hack/scrape it off? Is there a chemical or natural solution I can put on it to kill the outer edges? Any other tips or tricks?
Glue new rock around the area your trying to use. Picture the monti as a plate.

Cover a section of that plate with another plate. Anything under the second plate will starve from lack of light and die off. Then the monti will start growing up until it covers the side of the rock. Eventually creeping closer to the area your trying to use. As it does you can break off the new rock and give it away or sell it, and replace it with new rocks. Ruble or the shelf rock works best.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to cover encrusting montis that over reach. A sharp right angle pick also does a good job at removing them but its more difficult and time consuming.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to cover encrusting montis that over reach. A sharp right angle pick also does a good job at removing them but its more difficult and time consuming.

Do you remove the epoxy after the monti underneath has died off? How long does it usually take to die off?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I delt with this in my previous system. A rainbow Phoenix monti. As you can see I broke peices off regularly and used the rocks to cover/ block it as well.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remove the epoxy after the monti underneath has died off? How long does it usually take to die off?
I usually remove it after the monti starts growing over it. That way i essentially get 2 uses out of it. I dont know the time frame for the monti to die off but id assume 2 weeks would be plenty.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The epoxy over the monti can work, I have had stuff survive over months under epoxy and to my dismay I pull it off and mystic sunset is back

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste in a 10ml salifert syringe, or the like. Turn the flow pumps off while you apply and then keep them off for about an hour afterward.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back