• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Best way to upgrade

Pager880

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all. Iv just finished building / pluming in. My new reef. What would be the best way of transferring everything over. To the new tank. Iv allready bought new sand. As don't wanna use old stuff. Just want to no haw it's don't. Without killing everything lol. That's even if it can be done. But plan on using the light from old tank and wavemakers...... Any help would be verry much appreciated please

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

xxkenny90xx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Make sure to rinse the new sand. I would just acclimate everything as you would if you just brought them home from the lfs. Might be good to lower light intensity for a bit too.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Don't overcomplicate it. Take your time.

If it were me this is what I would do: first fill the new tank with sand and saltwater then move half your established live rock into the new tank. At the same time you can add any additional rock you're going to put into the new tank.
Let it sit for a week (in case there is a mini cycle) then you can move your fish, coral, and the rest of your rock over.

Might be worth testing for ammonia after that first week but if you use your live rock it'll probably be zero.

Zoanthids.com
OP
P

Pager880

View Badges
Reaction score
So Add washed new sand to tank. Fill with new saltwater. And a few big rocks from old tank. Let it run for a week. Feeding with flake. But will the rocks be OK without a light. As I can't take off my old tank till I do the full move...... After a week. Then just transfer everything over. Do that sound OK at all peeps

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • NO

Votes: 128 50.4%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 113 44.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Best reef aquarium LED lighting