Beta Glucan - Sources and Treatment

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen beta glucan mentioned several times for treatment of lymphocytis. I've read the advanced aquarist article, but am looking for some user experiences. Can anyone who has used it successfully for lymph share your experience? How long did it take? Where did you buy it? What brand, dosage, etc.? How did you administer it and how often? Any negative effects or side effects?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use for both our fish and for my wife and I. I get it from Amazon. For the fish I make "fish smoothies" where I use a variety of frozen fish food cubes, about 6-8 one of each type. Place into a dish. Put dish into the fridge to allow the cubes to "slump." Pour off or strain excess liquid (it will spike your phosphates, nitrates). Then add a drop or two of Selcon and half a capsule of BG. Add a drop or two of RO as needed to make the mix to the consistency you like. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

Results for fish: enhanced colors on my wrasses and anthias. My Foxface was a Petco rescue. Poor fish had velvet, and lympho that would not go away and poor coloration. Since dosing with BG colors are better, fish is more active and less skittish, and no lympho for over two years.

IMG_2165.jpg

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get full access to this study, but I think just the Abstract says A LOT :
Abstract
The major hindrance in the development and sustainability of aquaculture industry is the occurrence of various diseases in the farming systems. Today, preventive and management measures are central concern to overcome such outbreak of diseases. Immunostimulants are considered as an effective tool for enhancing immune status of cultured organisms. Among different immunostimulants used in aquaculture practices, β-glucan is one of the promising immunostimulant, which is a homopolysaccharide of glucose molecule linked by the glycoside bond. It forms the major constituents of cell wall of some plants, fungi, bacteria, mushroom, yeast, and seaweeds. Major attention on β-glucan was captivated with the gain in knowledge on its receptors and the mechanism of action. The receptor present inside the animal body recognizes and binds to β-glucan, which in turn renders the animal with high resistance and enhanced immune response. This review highlights β-glucan as an immunostimulant, its effective dosages, and route of administration and furthermore provides an outline on role of β-glucan in enhancing growth, survival, and protection against infectious pathogens pertaining to fishes and shellfishes. Study also summarizes the effect of β-glucan on its receptors, recognition of proteins, immune-related enzymes, immune-related gene expression and their mechanisms of action.

Source: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10695-012-9710-5

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full publication: Beta-glucan: An ideal immunostimulant in aquaculture (a review)
Conclusions
Surging human population has created spiraling demand of food, which needs to be met through innovative approaches without ignoring the context of human health and environmental sustainability. In the background of such concerns, b-glucan has tremendous potentials to be used in fish culture, disease management, and fish products development through biotechnical approach. An agent for prophylaxis and disease management, b-glucan, imparts immunity against various fish pathogens. Research reports have shown b-glucan dosages, quality, route, and time of administration and duration of treatments play significant role in enhancing various parameters related to growth, survival, and immunity. There is a need to give emphasis on optimizing the dosage and improve the quality of b-glucan to be used in different fish species. The adjuvant effect of b-glucan needs to be further addressed. The possible use of b-glucan from other sources like seaweed, plants, etc., should also be explored. Application of b-glucan as prebiotics in aquaculture is another emerging avenue, which requires further attention. So, further research on unexplored roles of b-glucan should be undertaken to adopt b-glucan as a potent immunostimulant in aquaculture.

Related:

Benefits of Beta-Glucan Supplementation in Aquaculture: Shrimps

Use of Immunostimulants and Nucleotides in Aquaculture: A Review

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been informally following the use of Beta Glucan for awhile. First saw it being used for salmon and steelhead farming here in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of health problems farming fish and BG seems to be one of the key weapons of choice to keep disease and parasites from overwhelming fish growing in floating pens in the ocean.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I dont feed it all the time, and I cant say that WOW MY FISH ARE AMAZING AFTER BETA GLUCAN! But my fish are very big and very healthy. Plus, for like $10 it feels good to do a little something good for them.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not a virus, could this method be successful in the treatment of things such as Uronema?
And other internal/external infections?

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on several of those studies, it seems like the effectiveness of beta glucan depends on molecular weight and structure, with 1,3/1,6 beta glucan derived from Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) being more effective than lower molecular weight and shorter branches (derived from mushrooms). Accordingly, I will be trying out this product from amazon which is advertising at least 80% long-branched 1,3/1,6 beta glucans derived from Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae):

Aggh. Hate how R2R converts amazon links to media, which then is unviewable/unclickable for me in my browser. For others with the same problem, search amazon for B0013OX824 or Jarrow Fomulas Beta Glucan 250mg, Supports Immune Function, 60 caps.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not a virus, could this method be successful in the treatment of things such as Uronema?
And other internal/external infections?
It should definitely help the fish's immune system to resist most parasites and help prevent the devastating secondary bacterial infections that are often difficult to overcome.

Simmo7671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use for both our fish and for my wife and I. I get it from Amazon. For the fish I make "fish smoothies" where I use a variety of frozen fish food cubes, about 6-8 one of each type. Place into a dish. Put dish into the fridge to allow the cubes to "slump." Pour off or strain excess liquid (it will spike your phosphates, nitrates). Then add a drop or two of Selcon and half a capsule of BG. Add a drop or two of RO as needed to make the mix to the consistency you like. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

Results for fish: enhanced colors on my wrasses and anthias. My Foxface was a Petco rescue. Poor fish had velvet, and lympho that would not go away and poor coloration. Since dosing with BG colors are better, fish is more active and less skittish, and no lympho for over two years.

IMG_2165.jpg

Hi Big G,

I live in the UK and can't get those Beta Glucan tablets over here. What should i be looking for when buying Beta Glucan capsules so i know I'm buying the right ones to suit my fish. I have had some problems in my DT and I now want to boost the surviving fishes immune system back up as it has been damaged / destroyed by the meds i dosed, so i was recommended this stuff is good for that?

Many Thanks

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been mixing beta-Glucan into my food mixture since we got our Kole Tang. I mix about half a capsule into about a cup of food. @Big G I believe had another post followed the instructions and the research. No need to reinvent the wheel with all the posts about its benefits, my fish are doing well, I use this on the fish in QT.

8AF1E32C-BDC0-4233-975F-02503847F8E3.jpeg

Simmo7671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying. I can’t get that brand of beta Glucan over here in the UK so will any Geta Glucan capsules do or are there a specific type I should be looking for?

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been mixing beta-Glucan into my food mixture since we got our Kole Tang. I mix about half a capsule into about a cup of food. @Big G I believe had another post followed the instructions and the research. No need to reinvent the wheel with all the posts about its benefits, my fish are doing well, I use this on the fish in QT.

8AF1E32C-BDC0-4233-975F-02503847F8E3.jpeg
got it ordered

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back