Beta Tester Program Update

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Nah, this product will never hit the market and not one company is willing to touch it.
    Pretty sure they already tried that to get one of the large investors for a good amount of $$$$$$$$.
    Pretty sure that some of these companies already estimated what it will cost to hit the market and came to conclusion that a sticker price from under the 1K wasn't doable.
    Of course this is all hearsay but that was my prediction.
    Maybe for the knockoff fan base here jeabo can take it over and launch it with a market price of $99.99 :p
    Lots of reefers will buy it than and all these reefers will trust it too as it is a jeabo product ;)
    Nah, again I went into the kickstarter with a bad taste in my mouth and analyzing their comments based on the questions ask here I withdraw out of it halfway cause I caught them lying when I ask them a valued question.

timkenagy and Greenstreet.1 like this.

2. B-ridge

B-ridge Well-Known Member

They could always go on shark tank

Sabellafella likes this.
  3. Reef kid

Reef kid Active Member

The irony of this comment though. It is a very good idea though

4. TylerS

TylerS Active Member

Not a good idea. They would get beat down so bad for having a way overpriced product in an relatively small market to begin with.

Their proposition is that their product would be basically the most expensive piece of equipment in the tank (initial + ongoing costs), when there are alternatives for significantly less cost to the customer. They say that the convenience and extra accuracy are worth how many times the cost of test kits? Don't think so... and for anyone who wants to argue with me please refer to their failed kickstarter. People do not want a $1000 water tester with $420/yr ongoing costs. Never going to happen. (wait, I mean the kickstarter was only a $500 water tester and even that failed).

Three words... Minimum viable product

This has been so frustrating for me to watch (can you tell?). It really seems like they have PhD trying to develop a product for market, when really they should be having engineers do it. (I could be completely wrong, maybe they do have actual engineers, but it just doesn't look that way from the outside). One of my professors had a saying for times like this "An engineer can do for $1 what any old fool can do with $2".

TheEngineer and kschweer like this.
  5. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018

Side note you can have a PhD in engineering :p

TylerS and hybridazn like this.
  6. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The market is sooooooooooooo small and the cost soooooooooooo high to develop this kind of tech. You have a ton of hobbyist who don't test anything the next group test one or two parameters and and very small group who test many. As we technology march forward we think it should be nothing to have and system to test say Cal,Alk,PO4,Mag and NO3 But we can not have a salinity probe that one could trust. All the elements in sea water cause issues with any testing. We can not have an ICP testing system in our aquarium yet. Hopefully one day we will be able to get to that point until them we just have to use all the available choices we do have.

7. FDAWG

FDAWG Active Member

Give me a unit that can automatically test Alk and CAL and I'll pay $500 for the unit.

jamie callard likes this.
  8. TylerS

TylerS Active Member

Touché, I should have clarified PhDs who do research as opposed to PhD working in product development. I'm not sure how that slipped my mind as I work with several...

Shep likes this.
  9. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

10. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

FWIW, the president of Step Ahead Innovations (Mindstream) is an electrical engineer and his partner is an analytical chemist. :)

11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

I can't believe this conversation is still going. Haha

12. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Such auto titrators are well established in industry.

http://www.metrohm.com/en/products/process-analyzers/

The primary issue is likely to be cost, and the question of whether a machine doing the titration for you is worth the cost.

IMO, if the cost were similar and both were accurate, I'd likely pick the mindstream since it measures a number of things at once and likely more frequently than one might use an autotitrator. :)

13. Randy Holmes-Farley

Duplicate

14. reefwiser

I think the auto titration device will come out before the Mindstream device. It does one thing while Mindstream is trying to do many things more complicated and not something that has been done before. Mindstream needs a sugar daddy company to purchase it.

15. jamie callard

jamie callard Active Member Gold Sponsor

I just signed up. I am excited to see this program cant wait for feedback.

16. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

You might be waiting for a while. After a failed Kickstarter campaign they've gone radio silent for quite a while.

17. jamie callard

jamie callard Active Member Gold Sponsor

Does any one have feedback on seneye as a in aquarium monitor.

18. kv69

kv69 Well-Known Member

19. TylerS

TylerS Active Member

While I've been pretty critical of mindstream for the pricing (but really boils down to some product development/feature choices they've made which correspondingly have influenced the pricing), I want to point out that I would most likely purchase the mindstream over that crazy looking auto titration device. Unless of course the auto titration is much lower cost then it would be a wash.

Realistically though I'm probably not purchasing any kind of automatic water testing device until one's available at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of mindstreams announced pricing.

20. Cyberdude

Cyberdude Member

All this. And I still want one lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted