Better Homes Walmart 4 Cube Storage Organizer as a stand?

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am wondering if anyone here has experience using the Better Homes 4 Cube Storage Organizer as a stand. I see lots of people in the nano community using it as a stand and even some using it for like 15g waterbox peninsula minis or IM equivalent. My tank is a 10g and am thinking of moving it off my desk and to the living room using this storage organizer that I already own. The website says the top is rated for 100 pounds and each cube is rated for like 30 but just wondering if anyone has done it before and what they think of doing it like that. And I am sure it would be good to reinforce it and if you did can you show me what you did? Thanks!

Link to the item on walmarts website.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say the top can support a maximum of 100lbs...I would just look into the overall total weight (heater, ato, plugs, lights, tank etc.. of the system you plan on using it for and probably plan for less to compensate for the total 100lbs
  • Top panel can support up to 100 lbs, each cube supports up to 30 lbs

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't trust it. Your 10gallons of water will be ~86lbs.

Factor in at least 10lbs of rock, and sand, and your at 106lbs. Plus you still need to factor in heater, filter, etc. Even if all the equipment displaces 2 gallons it only takes the water weight from ~86lbs to 70lbs. Which then adding in your 10+10 for rock/sand your at ~90lbs without stocking + equipment.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't trust it. Your 10gallons of water will be ~86lbs.

Factor in at least 10lbs of rock, and sand, and your at 106lbs. Plus you still need to factor in heater, filter, etc. Even if all the equipment displaces 2 gallons it only takes the water weight from ~86lbs to 70lbs. Which then adding in your 10+10 for rock/sand your at ~90lbs without stocking + equipment.

All that said, it will probably hold the tank.

For how long who knows.

Plus getting that particle board wet will severely diminish it's strength as it absorbs more and more and starts falling apart.

OP
OP
RedfishReefer

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that said, it will probably hold the tank.

For how long who knows.

Plus getting that particle board wet will severely diminish it's strength as it absorbs more and more and starts falling apart.
Yeah, that's my thing. I know it will hold it. Heck, I've stood on this stand for a while and I almost weigh 200 pounds and have no problems but yeah I don't know how long it will hold and 10 gallons of saltwater on my apartment floor would not be a good thing lol.

It is just so hard to find stands for these 10g cube tanks that aren't super expensive. I would make my own but idk if I trust myself to make it level enough and I don't have a saw at my apartment.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's my thing. I know it will hold it. Heck, I've stood on this stand for a while and I almost weigh 200 pounds and have no problems but yeah I don't know how long it will hold and 10 gallons of saltwater on my apartment floor would not be a good thing lol.

Yea weight ratings are often way under rated for safety purposes, but mdf and water are horrible combinations.

So while I have no doubt it will hold I would be concerned with long term use.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble finding a stand for my 25 lagoon frag setup. Didn't want to pay IM almost $600 bucks for the stand and freight. I found a husky garage cabinet at home Depot. Rated for 1000#. Has a drawer on top and 2 doors. I thought about getting the wheel set for it so I can move it around.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back