Better than ReefGlass AIO tank Nano Skimmer, complete build under $45.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it for about 3 hours and turned it off before I left for the night just in case. I've been tinkering with it and i'll get it to work I was just curious if you had a similar problem. I did try unscrewing the lid on my skim catch.

Thanks for answering. My bioload should be pretty decent so it should get some skim going. Ill play with it more tomorrow.
I did have the same problem you are having on my second Skimmer I built. I thought that something was wrong with the stone or the pump. Just to see what would happen, I let it run for a few days with the bubbles about 3” from the stopper. Few days later everything was working fine. I hope the same goes for yours. I really think the Skimmer just needs to break in. Let me know what happens.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the air stone just needed breaking in. I've never used an a wooden air stone before so I was unaware it had a break in period.

The skimmer is working great as of right now. I might have to tinker with it over the next few days but it looks promising.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the air stone just needed breaking in. I've never used an a wooden air stone before so I was unaware it had a break in period.

The skimmer is working great as of right now. I might have to tinker with it over the next few days but it looks promising.
That’s great! I’m glad you got it going. Took me a few days to get it dialed in right where I wanted it. Made a small adjustment every few hours until it was at a good spot. How did you end up mounting yours?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180211_190324.jpg

Just a ziptie to a hole in my kessil gooseneck bracket haha.
Pretty sketchy but its hidden pretty well

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the problem where it stops working while skimmate is traveling to the waste container? I'm trying to figure out a solution besides moving the waste container closer to the skimmer.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the problem where it stops working while skimmate is traveling to the waste container? I'm trying to figure out a solution besides moving the waste container closer to the skimmer.
Make sure your skim bottle is downhill first. Something cool is happening however. When the skim foams up enough to block the stopper out hole, it pushes the air bubbles down due to the increased air pressure then pushes the skim out into the skim bottle. That’s how the skim is removed. Depending on where you have the bubbles tuned at, this should happen every few minutes or longer. Any more frequent then it’s got a wet skim, tune it down very slightly.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its down hill for sure. It only happens maybe 3-4 times an hour and I cantlive with it during the day, the tank is in my bedroom however and the BLOOP BLOOP it makes when the air is forced out the bottom wakes me up sometimes haha. I'm going to figure out a way to shorten the skimmate line so this effect dosent last as line.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its down hill for sure. It only happens maybe 3-4 times an hour and I cantlive with it during the day, the tank is in my bedroom however and the BLOOP BLOOP it makes when the air is forced out the bottom wakes me up sometimes haha. I'm going to figure out a way to shorten the skimmate line so this effect dosent last as line.
Wow, that’s crazy you can hear that. One of my tanks is beside my bed. I never can hear it but, that might be because I sleep with a fan on. I wonder if you could stick a piece of foam over the vent holes to maybe soften the sound. My skim lines are about 10-12” from the Skimmer.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s crazy you can hear that. One of my tanks is beside my bed. I never can hear it but, that might be because I sleep with a fan on. I wonder if you could stick a piece of foam over the vent holes to maybe soften the sound. My skim lines are about 10-12” from the Skimmer.

The version I have on the tank right now dosent have the 1/2 vinyl outlet. I made one with the 1/2 vinyl tube but I cut it short when I was tinkering with it before i knew about the wooden air stone breaking in. I'm wondering if that softens the sound when the skimmate is being pushed out.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The version I have on the tank right now dosent have the 1/2 vinyl outlet. I made one with the 1/2 vinyl tube but I cut it short when I was tinkering with it before i knew about the wooden air stone breaking in. I'm wondering if that softens the sound when the skimmate is being pushed out.
You might be on to something. The 1/2” tube gives another outlet to push water and air pressure out of. Maybe since yours does not have the outlet, it has more pressure against the air stone causing it to be louder. The tube I purchased on amazon was 4’ worth. I was able to do a prototype (incorporated a powerhead but didn’t work), one for my main display and one for my tank in my bedroom. Do you have any Polycarbonate tube left over to experiment with?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be on to something. The 1/2” tube gives another outlet to push water and air pressure out of. Maybe since yours does not have the outlet, it has more pressure against the air stone causing it to be louder. The tube I purchased on amazon was 4’ worth. I was able to do a prototype (incorporated a powerhead but didn’t work), one for my main display and one for my tank in my bedroom. Do you have any Polycarbonate tube left over to experiment with?

Yeah I do, Im actually working on a prototype. I have some specimen cups left over from a coral buy that im going to use as a collection cup. I also siliconed in the 1/2 tube.
20180214_130330.jpg

At the moment though the current version is working great and only woke me up once last night. So I might just leave this new prototype on the sideline for a little.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do, Im actually working on a prototype. I have some specimen cups left over from a coral buy that im going to use as a collection cup. I also siliconed in the 1/2 tube.
20180214_130330.jpg

At the moment though the current version is working great and only woke me up once last night. So I might just leave this new prototype on the sideline for a little.
Nice! Let me know if you try to fire that one up.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out why the BLOOP BLOOP sound was happening bc one of my skimmers started to do it. It has been waking me up as well lol. The Skimmer I have on my bedroom tank is set for more of a dryer skim. The skim bubbles collect about 1.5-2” below the stopper. The inside of the Skimmer started to get real dirty in that section considering I have been neglecting cleaning it. It started to force the bubbles down to where they started to collect at 2-2.5” inches below the stopper. This caused the skim bubbles to have a lot of buildup before it could be forced into the skim bottle. The BLOOP BLOOP started at this point because it was taken more pressure to send the skim bubbles out and was forcing large air bubbles out of the bottom of the Skimmer, making that sound. I cleaned the inside of the Skimmer today and set it to have more of a wet skim where the bubbles start to collect at about 1-1.5” below the stopper. Quite as before now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back