Between a rock and a hard place - recently moved to warmer climate

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... I'm stuck. Also, this isn't exactly a reef question as I don't have a reef tank (FOWLR), but I didn't know where else it would fit.

We recently moved and are now living in a significantly warmer weather with no AC. And I'm not quite sure how to solve this following circular problem:

Higher water temperature:
1) higher evaporation
2) lower dissolved oxygen

In the past, I reduced evaporation by using a glass cover, which worked great. However, I recently took it off to allow increased oxygen exchange (I've also been medicating).

Sooo...evaporation went way up (and I'm not good at topping off, never had to in the past - 2.5 years since establishing this tank and never had problems in this regard - particularly because I'm not mixing water myself but use ocean water provided by our local aquarium). I'd really like to put the glass cover back on to help with evaporation, but I'm worried it will be really problematic with regard to O2. I'm using two over-the-back filters that have been creating enough water circulation so far, but I'm worried that with the lower levels due to higher temperatures this will not be enough anymore?

Also, won't the glass cover increase temperature by trapping the heat and again reducing exchange with the air?

Any solution that doesn't completely break the bank (aka a really expensive chiller)?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the glass cover off and look at an ATO to take care of evaporation. You can also run fans over the surface to help cool the tank. Another option that is inexpensive but probably not a long-term solution but can help with really warm days is filling some 1 gallon plastic milk jugs with water and freeze them and let float in the tank.
How warm is the tank getting?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REDNECK CHILLER:

I've used old milk jugs and filled them with RO water and FROZE them and them floated the frozen jug(s) in the sump. It does a great job when you get the hang of it

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a used $200 chiller cured my problem...or how about one of those portable a/c units that vent out a window just for the fish room?(although the a/c acts as a dehumidifier so evap will increase)....i assumed it would be more efficient to cool 50 gallons of water than 9000 cubic ft of air but i could be wrong

Last edited:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a used $200 chiller cured my problem...or how about one of those portable a/c units that vent out a window just for the fish room?(although the a/c acts as a dehumidifier so evap will increase)....i assumed it would be more efficient to cool 50 gallons of water than 9000 cubic ft of air but i could be wrong
Hey! I see you asked to join the CRC forum, but I cannot pm you to give you information. Our website is CRChub.com. Feel free to pm me if you want more information.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back