Beware! Innovative Marine UV Pump is Dangerous

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the middle of some maintenance on my tank and I had a few components in a bucket for cleaning. I noticed that the wire for the micro pump on my Innovative Marine UV had a white mark on it so I moved it to look closer and the wire cracked to dust in my hands. The wire was definitely severed before I took it out as it was extremely frail and therefore it must have been leaking electricity into the tank. This is the same as cutting a lamp cable and putting the wire in your tank and then plugging it in. The pump was only about 5 months old too. I am really at a loss for words on how my tank survived like that and pretty mad at IM for selling a product that cheaply made. I have been having some trouble with corals for the past couple months - nothing too bad really (mostly just STN on some SPS) and I noticed since removing the pump that all of the corals look much happier (better PE and coloration change in only a few days). The fish seem the same as usual although they are hard to get a read on considering they're fish. I feel terrible for not catching this sooner and the thought that my fish were being electrocuted for that whole time. Please be careful if you are running one of these!

IM_PUMP.jpg

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the output of that pump is only 2. 5 watts. Far from the death trap lamp cord
scenario you described. Without you measuring whether the pump was truly leaking electricity into the tank, your just guessing on the coral condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2_much_junk_in_the_sump

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the output of that pump is only 2. 5 watts. Far from the death trap lamp cord
scenario you described. Without you measuring whether the pump was truly leaking electricity into the tank, your just guessing on the coral condition.

The power cord comes from the wall (110V AC) and into the pump (converted to 2.5W inside the pump). It does not use a wall wart adapter or power brick to convert AC to DC, so it is exactly like that scenario. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

My issue is when you plug directly into the wall and that cable sits in water then the cable should be reinforced. All of my Sicce pumps that are AC pumps have reinforced cables, but the IM pump just used a cheap lamp cable style of wire. That wire was destroyed by the salt water in about 6 months.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did IM say when you contacted them about this?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats not good I agree with you.

The cause ould have been from many things.
A nick in the cord, the rubber coating could have been not up to par.
To me this is a quality control issue.
IM did not look at the cord.

OP
OP
2_much_junk_in_the_sump

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh,
My bad.
That is dangerous!

I know, right! It's crazy how quick it happened too.

What did IM say when you contacted them about this?

I honestly have not contacted them. I retired the UV as I don't trust the bulb to be reliable under water either. It doesn't use a quartz sleeve that the UV goes into. The UV light just sits in the plastic tube and is surrounded by water. I switched to an Aqua Ultraviolet and the difference in water quality is night and day (back when the IM was working).

Yes thats not good I agree with you.

The cause ould have been from many things.
A nick in the cord, the rubber coating could have been not up to par.
To me this is a quality control issue.
IM did not look at the cord.

I would say it's probably the coating on the cable and I would guess most of the pumps have this problem. The other issue is that when there is a break in the cable like that and it sits in water you are essentially performing electrolosis across the two pieces and the metal in the cable will break down into the water. This means copper in the water! I am running a ton of GAC to compensate. I have an ICP that I will send out after the holiday weekend.

I Love IM's tanks. I've been very disappointed with all of the other equipment I have from them.

And yeah, that's a deathtrap.

Yeah, I think the lesson is stay away from most china made products when safety is concerned. I'm sure some are OK, but I just don't trust anything that is cheap anymore.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the lesson is stay away from most china made products when safety is concerned. I'm sure some are OK, but I just don't trust anything that is cheap anymore.
Good luck with that, even the best companies in the hobby have chinese made components. Jebao stuff is chinese made and it's like the best inexpensive stuff you can buy. What you really need to do is avoid cheaply made chinese products. Just gotta be careful that's all.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that, even the best companies in the hobby have chinese made components. Jebao stuff is chinese made and it's like the best inexpensive stuff you can buy. What you really need to do is avoid cheaply made chinese products. Just gotta be careful that's all.
It's horrible that this happened shame on im for not using quality parts. But, lol, I have to agree finding anything 100% all components made in America is going to be really hard most things have components made in other countries. The best your likely to find is assembled and QC in America with some American parts. Agood luck on your hunt I hope you find all good quality gear in the future.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have not contacted them. I retired the UV as I don't trust the bulb to be reliable under water either. It doesn't use a quartz sleeve that the UV goes into. The UV light just sits in the plastic tube and is surrounded by water. I switched to an Aqua Ultraviolet and the difference in water quality is night and day (back when the IM was working).

So...
You havent contacted them at all, but quickly trashed them on the internet for all to see?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
You havent contacted them at all, but quickly trashed them on the internet for all to see?

Not sure how it's trashing them, clearly there's a serious quality issue that lead to a dangerous condition. I'm sure the OP was just posting his concerns so those who own these pumps can atleast have a look at them and insure they aren't an issue for them as well.

Contacting them will likely lead to an "Oh we are so sorry for the issue, here is a replacement pump that's the same as the last one". That's great and all, but doesn't resolve the quality issue or solve the potential problem for others that already have them and may not be aware of an issue.

I agree with Some of the sentiments above in that Innovative Marine makes excellent tanks, but there other products are... well questionable at best. I replaced my IM pumps with Sicce ones right from the get go because just looking at them there quality seemed off.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it's trashing them, clearly there's a serious quality issue that lead to a dangerous condition. I'm sure the OP was just posting his concerns so those who own these pumps can atleast have a look at them and insure they aren't an issue for them as well.

Contacting them will likely lead to an "Oh we are so sorry for the issue, here is a replacement pump that's the same as the last one". That's great and all, but doesn't resolve the quality issue or solve the potential problem for others that already have them and may not be aware of an issue.

I agree with Some of the sentiments above in that Innovative Marine makes excellent tanks, but there other products are... well questionable at best. I replaced my IM pumps with Sicce ones right from the get go because just looking at them there quality seemed off.

The title of this thread is :

That's trashing them.
If his goal was to bring awareness, then titling the thread something like "My power cord came off my pump" or "PSA - Check your power cords" something along those lines.

I'm not defending the quality of the product. I'm pointing out that instead of contacting anyone the OP just trashed them on arguably the largest reef keeping forum on the net.

I'm far from perfect, I doubt anyone else is as well...to include IM.
Mistakes happen. How companies/people respond to those mistakes is the important part.

When was the OP's pump manufactured? Did he by any strange chance buy some NIB old stock and IM has already corrected the problem in subsequent products?

Is the pump brand new and IM just got a bad batch?

Nobody knows.
But the OP started this thread, without contacting IM, making them aware of the issue, and giving them a chance to respond or make it right.

Now, if he had already contacted IM, they told him to pound sand, and left him high and dry with a defective pump...then he's fully justified in starting this thread.

As of now, he's preemptively trashing the company without giving them a chance to respond.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title of this thread is :

That's trashing them.
If his goal was to bring awareness, then titling the thread something like "My power cord came off my pump" or "PSA - Check your power cords" something along those lines.

I'm not defending the quality of the product. I'm pointing out that instead of contacting anyone the OP just trashed them on arguably the largest reef keeping forum on the net.

I'm far from perfect, I doubt anyone else is as well...to include IM.
Mistakes happen. How companies/people respond to those mistakes is the important part.

When was the OP's pump manufactured? Did he by any strange chance buy some NIB old stock and IM has already corrected the problem in subsequent products?

Is the pump brand new and IM just got a bad batch?

Nobody knows.
But the OP started this thread, without contacting IM, making them aware of the issue, and giving them a chance to respond or make it right.

Now, if he had already contacted IM, they told him to pound sand, and left him high and dry with a defective pump...then he's fully justified in starting this thread.

As of now, he's preemptively trashing the company without giving them a chance to respond.

I actually think the title is pretty accurate and the OP isn't wrong atall in stating it. Matter of perspective and I'm going to leave it at that. You can consider it trashing all you want that's your opinion, as the OP (who happened to be put in a dangerous situation due to said product) has there's and I have mine.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I agree with the OP.

This could have been a fatal situation for the OP.
I feel his title is perfect, as it gets your attention.

Yea he should contact them, for many reasons.
But it sounds like you want him to contacted them and then what?
Not post anything here?
I respectfully disagree on that.
If it was just a failed piece of cheap equipment thats one thing.
But this could have caused some serious harm to someone.
In my world that opens a whole new book of rules.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you (and the OP) not using GFCI's?
If not, why not? GFCI's keep electrical issues from being fatal.
I'd bet the manufacturer states to plug it into a GFCI.
Misuse of a product does not make the manufacturer liable.

You also need to re-read what I posted.

"if he had already contacted IM, they told him to pound sand, and left him high and dry with a defective pump...then he's fully justified in starting this thread.

As of now, he's preemptively trashing the company without giving them a chance to respond."

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but I must respectfully disagree.
In a way your implying the OP was misusing it based on it not being pluged into a GFCI?

I do not understand how its misused if not pluged into a GFCI.
Yes its unsafe for sure but not misuse as your implying here.

Misuse would be to use the cord to hang a fuge light, or take the UV apart and use it to provide light for house plants.

I agree with you on the fact the OP should contact IM.
Even if he did not want a replacement or apology but to let them know they may have a problem.

Maybe it was not there fault at all in anyway. Could have been caught in a door or pinched by another piece of equipment, maybe a critter, dog,cat, rodent, chewed on the cord and it went unnoticed. I doubt this is the case here as the dammaged part of the cord was submerged but just throwing out the possibility.

But the OP has done nothing wrong here and for the most part did our comunity a great service in posting this here.
I am assuming here so shoot me if you wish but, I doubt that if the OP contacted IM first, and they satisfied him with a replacement or whatever, we would never know about this. Resulting in someone else getting hurt.

At least this way whomever owns this product and has read this thread can check the cords and see if there is a problem.

So your saying the OP had no right to post this untill he contacted IM.
thus giving IM the opportunity to defend themselves, and make it right.

If they did so, would it be ok for him to post this thread only at that point?
What if he did both concurrently? Is that ok.

Worst case contacted them and they satisfied the problem with HIM, and he never posted the thread, and another person or persons were not so lucky and harmed?

I guess it all depends.
In my world kudos to the OP. That said, yes the OP should also contact IM.
As a truly good samaritan and wanting to prevent others from harm it should go to the source. Yes thats the other half of the OP's responsibility IMO.
YMMV.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but I must respectfully disagree.
In a way your implying the OP was misusing it based on it not being pluged into a GFCI?

I do not understand how its misused if not pluged into a GFCI.
Yes its unsafe for sure but not misuse as your implying here.

Misuse would be to use the cord to hang a fuge light, or take the UV apart and use it to provide light for house plants.

I agree with you on the fact the OP should contact IM.
Even if he did not want a replacement or apology but to let them know they may have a problem.

Maybe it was not there fault at all in anyway. Could have been caught in a door or pinched by another piece of equipment, maybe a critter, dog,cat, rodent, chewed on the cord and it went unnoticed. I doubt this is the case here as the dammaged part of the cord was submerged but just throwing out the possibility.

But the OP has done nothing wrong here and for the most part did our comunity a great service in posting this here.
I am assuming here so shoot me if you wish but, I doubt that if the OP contacted IM first, and they satisfied him with a replacement or whatever, we would never know about this. Resulting in someone else getting hurt.

At least this way whomever owns this product and has read this thread can check the cords and see if there is a problem.

So your saying the OP had no right to post this untill he contacted IM.
thus giving IM the opportunity to defend themselves, and make it right.

If they did so, would it be ok for him to post this thread only at that point?
What if he did both concurrently? Is that ok.

Worst case contacted them and they satisfied the problem with HIM, and he never posted the thread, and another person or persons were not so lucky and harmed?

I guess it all depends.
In my world kudos to the OP. That said, yes the OP should also contact IM.
As a truly good samaritan and wanting to prevent others from harm it should go to the source. Yes thats the other half of the OP's responsibility IMO.
YMMV.

Re-read my posts, dont reinterpret them.
I never once said the OP had no right to post this thread.
I’ve consistently stated the way he posted this, on one of the largest forums for this hobby, BEFORE he contacted IM, and using the verbiage he did, trashed the company unfairly because it doesnt give them a chance to make things right before their reputation is thrown under the bus.

The OP could have very easily accomplished the exact same thing you and others are lauding him for by posting for other reefers to check their power cords, and posted a picture of his damaged & defective cord. He then could contact IM, send them the same picture, and proceed from there.

I mentioned GFCI’s because someone in the thread stated this could have been a fatal malfunction, and tried to throw the blame solely at IM. They are partially correct, that could be a fatal malfunction if the pump was not plugged into a GFCI. Seeing as how you can buy GFCI extension cords inexpensively, there is no reason why anyone who deliberately keeps saltwater and electricity in close proximity shouldnt have one. If a manufacturer explicitly directs their product be used in a certain way, and only under certain conditions, using it differently, or outside those conditions can constitute misuse.

You bring up a good point that the cord could have been damaged by someone or some critter, and might not actually be IM’s fault.
Was this pump underneath the heater? Was the UV resting on that part of the cord?
Unfortunately, the OP has already judged IM to be completely responsible....which is my whole point and has been all along.

I have no problem with anyone starting a thread about something that could be potentially dangerous in order to warn others or to educate others.
I have a problem when someone trashes a company by name, (via internet), and doesnt at least contact the company beforehand. I dont have a problem with IM being named in the thread, I have a problem with WHEN they were named in the thread, (before they were even made aware of the issue)

Once the company has had a chance to respond, then by all means.

OP could have easily stated, “Check your pump cords, fatal injury narrowly avoided!” Then posted the pics above, and described everything, all without specifically naming IM. This would have accomplished everything you say is important about this post. Then the OP contacts IM, and waits for their response...(it was the 4th of July weekend. Nobody was there when OP started this thread). Once they respond, OP can copy/paste the entire email into this thread, showing the world how good (or bad) IM’s customer service is.

This thread is like ordering PF Chang’s from Grub Hub, getting the wrong order, and publicly trashing PF Chang’s before contacting the restaurant and giving them a chance to make it right.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back