OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be a sticky as a public service as it potentially saves a lot of us $$$$
thank you

Thanks for the compliment, but it is a sticky in forum, "General Equipment, Hardware and Filtration.". :cool:

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not dare put mine in overnight ,mine get around 10-15 mins ,have to say some of my RW8s and RW4s have given up the ghost strangly only the ones that have been in storage .

Same here. 10-15 minutes tops. I was warned about not soaking my pumps overnight in vinegar and now I just give them a quick soak once every couple of weeks to keep them looking/running like new.

Roberth101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to own an automotive machine shop, we would use muratic acid to soak the old blocks and heads to remove rust snd scale. If you were to soak your old rusted impellers, think it might clean the rust off and be useable again?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exact thing happened with my MP40. Ecotech replaced the wet side, where the battery had expanded as it was under a year old, but I had no clue why. No more vinegar for me...thanks for the info!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exact thing happened with my MP40. Ecotech replaced the wet side, where the battery had expanded as it was under a year old, but I had no clue why. No more vinegar for me...thanks for the info!

Does correlation equal causation? I have had MP40 wet sides swell having never seen vinegar.

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does correlation equal causation? I have had MP40 wet sides swell having never seen vinegar.

Maybe, maybe not. But the information presented in the initial post seemed convincing to me. I tend to trust Randy’s commentary on things in this hobby as well, which is where the OP drew from. But certainly my n of 1 won’t have any scientific papers written
using it as an example.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to create a thread to ask this but figured here might be better -

What would be the recommended cleaner for mur-lock tubing (polyethylene)? My salt mix (Redsea Pro) has high alk and scaling has completely jammed up my auto water change tubing (about 30' of it...I'd just replace it but it is routed through some really awkward to reach areas). I did a quick search for this combination of plastic and cleaner but haven't found anything. I have citric acid being delivered later this week but have vinegar on hand (and time to work on it now).

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For polyethylene tubing, any acid would work....citric, acetic, or hydrochloric.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the thread I was looking for. I knew the time was coming to start cleaning some of my equipment for my relatively new SW tank. Just ordered 5lbs. of food grade citric acid from Amazon Prime. Thanks for info, OP, and all.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brand claims 90% less fumes than standard muratic acid and better for the environment. Does anyone know if this is ok for reef hardware? It's from Klean-Strip in case the link ever stops working.

klean-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-gkgm75006-64_400.jpg

airmotive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, in the Navy we were required to periodically flush various potable water piping and heat exchanger systems with a “citric acid solution”. That solution? Unsweetened Cool Aid packets at ~4x the concentration of the instructions on the package. Pick a flavor; doesn’t matter...preferably one without an atrocious die color.

Edit to add: Unsweetened, NOT sugar free.You want the stuff you’re supposed to add two cups of sugar to.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brand claims 90% less fumes than standard muratic acid and better for the environment. Does anyone know if this is ok for reef hardware? It's from Klean-Strip in case the link ever stops working.

klean-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-gkgm75006-64_400.jpg

Klean Strip sells both "regular" muriatic acid and a "green" muriatic acid. The Green product contains trade secret ingredients that are not included in the safety data sheet....HERE.

I could guess that it's OK, but that's a guess. My preference would be to use "regular", diluted 1 to 10. Note that using on our tank equipment really isn't going to produce any level of fuming that would be a concern.

Back