Beware of Vinegar - The Pump Killer

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brand claims 90% less fumes than standard muratic acid and better for the environment. Does anyone know if this is ok for reef hardware? It's from Klean-Strip in case the link ever stops working.

klean-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-gkgm75006-64_400.jpg
The SDS says <30% solution, no other ingredients listed.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. But the information presented in the initial post seemed convincing to me. I tend to trust Randy’s commentary on things in this hobby as well, which is where the OP drew from. But certainly my n of 1 won’t have any scientific papers written
using it as an example.
Great. Though, I don't think we want or need scientific papers, your reasoning is fine without them

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vinegar for close on 20 years ... undiluted ... never had this problem and I still have original Tunze wavemakers working 100% ... only problem I ever encountered was surface damage to the pump cowls when some manufacture was sourced in China.

Only time I have ever experienced swollen magnets was with one of those 'Ocean Motion' motorised flow diverters (made in Canada and no longer) ... and that wasn't from cleaning. Generally, the only other issues I have encountered have been with cheap pumps and magnet holders ... but again not cleaning issues.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP40s that were in a tank for only about 3 years, then they were in dry cold storage for another 2-3 years. One of the MP40s makes loud noises and the dry side is hot to the touch. (Yes it had been cleaned a few times with Vinegar). Is there a number of times of being cleaned where vinegar would affect the magnets or after one overnight soaking they could be shot? Just curious?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP40s that were in a tank for only about 3 years, then they were in dry cold storage for another 2-3 years. One of the MP40s makes loud noises and the dry side is hot to the touch. (Yes it had been cleaned a few times with Vinegar). Is there a number of times of being cleaned where vinegar would affect the magnets or after one overnight soaking they could be shot? Just curious?

This actually sounds like a dryside problem. If you take apart the wetside, and you potentially have a problem with the magnet starting to swell, the early stages are noticeable, with a swollen magnet. However, for you, it sounds like the bearings aren't happy. Try running for a day or two to see if they quiet down. Otherwise, replace the bearings....relatively easy to do, but hard to pick the best bearings for the job.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vinegar for close on 20 years ... undiluted ... never had this problem and I still have original Tunze wavemakers working 100% ...

I have had the same experience over 30 years however I do dilute standard white vinegar to 50% and soak for about 30 minutes (full strength overnight is a bad idea). A few of my eheim pumps are 25 years old and the plastic is not degrading at all. I use this method on Ecotech, RE, Sicce and Tunze gear.

skyyyyyyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, that the type of plastic could impact the rate that acetic acid penetrates. Maybe some pumps could be cleaned in vinegar and never have an issue. All I know is that Vortech's (and most likely Koralia's), appear to allow acetic acid to get through their plastic covering.
塑料产品制造时填充剂的确是滑石粉,不过多数单价便宜的产品会添加,而塑料添加颜料色母制作的时候也会添加

(From OP, Google translation: The filler is indeed talcum powder when made of plastic products, but most cheaper products are added, and plastic adds pigment sage when made)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned, if I can, I remove any and all rubber components before cleaning in any acid. The difference you're seeing above is most likely the difference between an SBR (styrene butiene rubber) synthetic rubber and either a natural or polychloroprene (neoprene) rubber. The latter tend to degrade fairly fast in an acid environment.

Bottom line, remove the rubber before acid cleaning.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using citric acid for a couple months now. About 1/2 cup to a gallon RO.

Zero complaints about cleaning performance. Does not bother my skin or mucus membranes. My only gripe?

Once mixed it only has about a 2 week shelf life before going to bacterial gunk. My old buckets of vinegar were good for months.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
,,,,,,,,,,,, My only gripe?

Once mixed it only has about a 2 week shelf life before going to bacterial gunk. My old buckets of vinegar were good for months.

Yep, the darn stuff is an excellent carbon source for those little buggers to grow. If you wish, add 0.1% sodium benzoate to the jug, and that should hold off any bacterial growth.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the darn stuff is an excellent carbon source for those little buggers to grow. If you wish, add 0.1% sodium benzoate to the jug, and that should hold off any bacterial growth.

Thank you. In my Amazon shopping cart right now.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its hard to say if vinegar can damage the rubber that creat rust like the title said. I have been dosing vinegar for little over 5 years and soak/clean all my pump(jebao,ecotech and gyre)in it. None of the pump have any issue and they ran for a good 4 years until i upgraded.

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through my job I have easy access to a solution of citric and phosphoric acid that we use for passivating stainless steel tanks and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if that would be safe to use for cleaning my pumps and stuff. The only thing I really know about this solution is that it will completely strip the oils out of steel which is a requirement for food processing. If anyone can give me better info about it I'd certainly appreciate it

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to citric acid a year or so ago. It has worked much better then vinegar imo. I use hot water with it and turn a power head on in the bucket.

Redfish, what do you recommend for cleaning apex probes? As previously stated Neptune recommends vinegar, but I was never comfortable with that for more then maybe 30 min's

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back