bHart's WAterBox 290.6 Reef LX

bHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go! Finally pulled the trigger on my dream tank! I've been a RedSea tank owner for the last 15/20ish years, however, I decided to switch it up and give WaterBox a try. I still have my 65 gallon RedSea up and running and will be transferring all my livestock over when the WaterBox is cycled and ready. I've been extremely happy with everything so far EXCEPT for the quality of the plumbing and the cabinet doors not aligning perfectly (drives my OCD crazy). To be fair, I always had the same issues with the cabinet doors on all my RedSea's as well. The return pump hosing is literally unusable because it kinks no matter how you configure it...for such a nice and expensive tank that was disappointing. It is a beautiful tank though! Tanks been cycling for roughly 2 weeks and all parameters seems to be going in the right direction. I cycled using Brightwell MicroBacter and Dr Tim's Ammonia. Ended up using the Fiji Pink sand and CaribSea liferock throughout the tank, I just loved the look and the simplicity of it. I went for more of an "open scaping" look with this tank compared with my past tanks as I want to have a good amount of swimming space for my future Tangs. I've got 2/3rds of the aquascaping done and set (I think). I'm keeping space on the back left 1/3rd of the tank for the rock I'll be transferring over. I'm much more into LPS and other softies over SPS, but ended up going with the a500x's to have the power potential to get more into them someday. Think that about covers everything for now, if you guys have any questions or suggestions please let me know!

Equipment I'm running:

3 x Kessil a500x's (just installed and am extremely happy with them! The coverage seems just about perfect, as I don't mind some shadowing!)
Helio PTC 1000 watt heater
Eshopps S-300, 4th Gen skimmer
Vortech mp60 (might add a 2nd, suggestions on if I should would be great)
Tunze Osmolator
Vectra L2
Neptune Apex A3

Also have a water mixing station in the garage in the works, will post some pics when it's finished.

My local LFS guy is coming over today to help set up the rest of the equipment, replumb the return pump and do some cable management for me and I'll try and post some pictures of what we get done.

Here are some pictures so far! The branching rocks still need some to be messed with a little bit, not 100% if I'm sold on them there yet, I just felt that my Plateau rock needed a little "something". Again, any suggestions would be grealy appreciated, thanks guys!

IMG_2093.jpg 695681479.jpg 20230202_171230.jpg 20230120_150345.jpg

Kev036

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great look forward to seeing your progress. what are your initial thoughts on the waterbed build quality ?

OP
OP
bHart

bHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great look forward to seeing your progress. what are your initial thoughts on the waterbed build quality ?
I'm happy with the quality of just about everything except the plumbing supplied and some of my cabinet doors don't line up perfectly. Not a huge deal at all, but for the money they charge for these things it was a little disappointing. I honestly had the same complaints about my multiple RedSeas in the past too. The display itself is beautiful and the stand seems to be extremely solid also. Neither problem would deter me from buying a WaterBox again.

Kev036

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the quality of just about everything except the plumbing supplied and some of my cabinet doors don't line up perfectly. Not a huge deal at all, but for the money they charge for these things it was a little disappointing. I honestly had the same complaints about my multiple RedSeas in the past too. The display itself is beautiful and the stand seems to be extremely solid also. Neither problem would deter me from buying a WaterBox again.
that was my major issue with reds tanks the amount of money spent and the doors did not mine up. that's why I went custom until this new tank I ordered a Waterbox comes Thursday what was you issue oath the plumbing I hated the adjustable dial on the Red Sea was so hards to dial in.

OP
OP
bHart

bHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my major issue with reds tanks the amount of money spent and the doors did not mine up. that's why I went custom until this new tank I ordered a Waterbox comes Thursday what was you issue oath the plumbing I hated the adjustable dial on the Red Sea was so hards to dial in.
The hosing they supply for the return pump is literally unusable. It kinks no matter how you plumb it. The piping itself just has a very cheap feel to it.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Any updates? New pics? :)

When you say the doors don't line up - what exactly do you mean? They look pretty level to me from the pics...?

How did you redo the return plumbing - hard plumb...?

OP
OP
bHart

bHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Any updates? New pics? :)

When you say the doors don't line up - what exactly do you mean? They look pretty level to me from the pics...?

How did you redo the return plumbing - hard plumb...?
Thanks! No, no new pictures yet, still waiting on this cycle to end. My ammonia has been reading 0, nitrite has been above 3 now though for about a week. I may have overdosed on ammonia and stalled it a bit? I'll be retesting Saturday @ my LFS.

I'll have to try and snap a couple pictures of the doors being "off" a little bit. Again, it's not terrible, but definitely noticeable to me and my OCD, lol.

My local LFS guy had some extra piping for the return pump, we still need to redo it 1 more time properly so the return pump is sitting flush on the ground. Right now is just a bandaid, but at least it's not kinked.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched this video by Waterbox entitled "Adjusting hinges on a Waterbox Aquarium...?

OP
OP
bHart

bHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched this video by Waterbox entitled "Adjusting hinges on a Waterbox Aquarium...?

We tried just about everything, lol. I actually had my handyman here to do it and he was getting frustrated too. Like I said, it isn't noticeable, only really to me, so it's not a big deal. I'm still really happy with the tank, it's beautiful.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank now that you have had it for awhile? Can the doors on both side of the stand open? Photos. How do you like the sump? Anything you can say would be helpful.

Shelley

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back