Bi Color Angel laying down

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Bi Color angelfish about 3 weeks ago, she's in QT with a new scooter blenny and several snails.... She was perfectly normal last night, she ate, was swimming around as usual, hiding when anyone is near the tank. Tonight I fed them, she didn't come out to eat, she always darts around the tank eating up all of the food! So I watched her, she's inside of a pot, wiggling a bit, as if she were trying to swim out but facing the wrong way...so I moved the pot a bit and she turned and swam out, she went around the tank totally ignoring the food, then settled behind the heater, then back into the pot where she is half laying down.
I did a 50% water change. Tank was already fully cycled before I added her and the blenny.

Amm. 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates had spiked this week to 40, which is why I did the large water change. nitrites are currently close to or less than 25. API test kit and Seachem kit are both testing the same. My husband had dumped a bunch of tiny snails in there when his order showed up and there were 100 instead of 10....so there are about 25 - 50 of these stupid things in my QT...I didn't think it through when I said "go ahead and dump them in my QT, it needs some clean up"... never considered the possibility of needing to copper treat, so hopefully, this is not necessary!
Back to the Angel, she has no symptoms of anything, no spots, no flashing, nothing. She went from normal happy, slightly neurotic to laying in the pot. Could the nitrate spike have caused this? My bad for not keeping up on the water changes... and possibly over feeding while trying to get the blenny to eat frozen, the angel fish was such a pig, he wasn't getting food..I've been super busy working and being a mom...but still, I messed up!

I'd add a picture but I can get a shot at that angle. Blenny is doing fine, no idea if some of these snails are dead, I secretly wish the blenny would eat the tiny things and be done with them...lol sorry, i know that's mean.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry You’re dealing with this. Has the salinity or temperature had any large fluctuations during this period or when the water change was conducted?

The nitrates at 40 ppm isn’t a huge deal but anything is possible. I’d retest again and see what your reading are to ensure there wasn’t die off from adding those snails.

FYI snails can bring in parasites such as Ich, velvet, etc. with them. It is possible that an unwanted hitchhiker made it in.

It is really hard to tell at this point. Keep an eye on it and keep us posted

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, everything had stayed the same other than the nitrates.
The snails came from a place that only sells snails and crabs, no fish, I assume that lowers the risk a little.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish didn't make it :( I don't understand what happened, she went from normal to dead in 24 hrs! Red spot appeared after it died. 0 ammonia in this tank, it was cycled last year and had fish in it the entire time. 2 filters and a powerhead, 40g breeder.

IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5472.JPG

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one right now that looks like its about to die. Looks exactly like yours with the weird redness on the gills. It keeps swimming to the top. Can anyone ID this?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss. Bicolored are one of my favorite

The red spots almost look like Uronema to me. Hopefully a reefsquad will swing by. Just as an FYI.nitrates will not be toxic to fish until well over 400 so most likely it was a disease.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind it just died. Have to go out to dinner but I will take pictures when I get home. Fish was purchased from live aquaria and arrived two days ago.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one right now that looks like its about to die. Looks exactly like yours with the weird redness on the gills. It keeps swimming to the top. Can anyone ID this?
mine was normal until it was hiding in the pot on it's side all day, then it died. My daughter says she saw a little bit of red when it was laying in there, before it died. But it def wasn't there before it laid down.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

That kind of redness around the gills is often a sign of ammonia poisoning. Are you sure your ammonia test kits work?

Any aggression? Bicolors tend to be on the shy side for dwarf angels.

Agree it’s also possibly a couple other issues including uronema or vibrio.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss. Bicolored are one of my favorite

The red spots almost look like Uronema to me. Hopefully a reefsquad will swing by. Just as an FYI.nitrates will not be toxic to fish until well over 400 so most likely it was a disease.

I love the bicolored, never even saw one before I went to the fish store that day and had to have it! I chose it over a butterfly fish. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out, but other than this red spot right before it died, there were 0 signs or symptoms. I have this tank set up next to my TV in the same room with my computer etc. so I'm in here anytime I'm home really, i watched it closely all the time and my daughter was always checking on them every time she walked in the room.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

That kind of redness around the gills is often a sign of ammonia poisoning. Are you sure your ammonia test kits work?

Any aggression? Bicolors tend to be on the shy side for dwarf angels.

Agree it’s also possibly a couple other issues including uronema or vibrio.
100% sure there is no ammonia in this tank. That was my thought too, but it has been ammonia free for over a year since I set it up and cycled it.

No aggression, she was only in there with the Scooter Blenny and some snails. She was very active but hid when I was close, she was most active when I put food in there, she'd eat most of it before the Blenny even had a chance, so I fed a little more. He's eating the frozen food, so I'm keeping him...I almost returned him a week later thinking he'd never eat, but he's doing good now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was probably uronema if I had to guess. I've only ever seen Uronema on Wrasse, chromis, and dwarf angels. It could have been far worse internally as well. At any rate I'm sorry about the loss :(

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind it just died. Have to go out to dinner but I will take pictures when I get home. Fish was purchased from live aquaria and arrived two days ago.
Live Aquaria will give you a refund, but they expect you to send the dead fish back to them :). I bought my 2 tangs from them and a clown goby, the clown arrived DOA, I flushed it after taking pictures...but it was cheap enough, they refunded.

I got a yellow tang and a kole. The yellow has been a nightmare since the first week, treated for flukes, only he seemed to have them in the FW dip, from there it was more flashing, more treatment. Then it was breathing heavily...Kole was still fine, treated with copper, then it was skinny and some of it's fins got raggedy...treated food with focus and ....ugh, can't think of what it's called...recommended on this site though.
Finally after 7 month in QT, I tossed them both into my DT. I'm naming him Mr Bones, he has not fattened up very much, I noticed he's not a aggressive eater like the kole and he doesn't graze on rocks like the kole. I feed seaweed and frozen food daily. I've vowed never to buy online again...until now, I've been very lucky with the LFS.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria will give you a refund, but they expect you to send the dead fish back to them :). I bought my 2 tangs from them and a clown goby, the clown arrived DOA, I flushed it after taking pictures...but it was cheap enough, they refunded.

I got a yellow tang and a kole. The yellow has been a nightmare since the first week, treated for flukes, only he seemed to have them in the FW dip, from there it was more flashing, more treatment. Then it was breathing heavily...Kole was still fine, treated with copper, then it was skinny and some of it's fins got raggedy...treated food with focus and ....ugh, can't think of what it's called...recommended on this site though.
Finally after 7 month in QT, I tossed them both into my DT. I'm naming him Mr Bones, he has not fattened up very much, I noticed he's not a aggressive eater like the kole and he doesn't graze on rocks like the kole. I feed seaweed and frozen food daily. I've vowed never to buy online again...until now, I've been very lucky with the LFS.

Yeah, almost every fish that came in on friday from live aquaria is dead in 48 hours.'

1QFK1ce.jpg

CXiJ3yS.jpg

MyLh3CM.jpg

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, almost every fish that came in on friday from live aquaria is dead in 48 hours.'

1QFK1ce.jpg

CXiJ3yS.jpg

MyLh3CM.jpg
Wow, that really sucks! I'm sorry. At least my Tangs are making it, the Kole is awesome, beautiful fish, the yellow looks like he's been through hell and I don't know if he'll ever look normal again! I feel like he's always going to be skinny and his fins will never repair. I know they'll ask you to freeze them and return...kind of weird imo, they're just going to get stinky dead fish that they'll throw away.

I'm going to stick with spending more at the LFS, no idea if they'll give me any credit for the Angel, I don't know why she went downhill so fast and so unexpectedly, but also I flushed her...because dead fish in my freezer kind of bothers me...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back